1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POTS with Mast Cell Activation

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Marco, May 7, 2012.

1. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    I thought this might be of interest given the prevalence of POTS and recent discussions about systemic mastocytosis and histamine :

Hyperadrenergic Postural Tachycardia Syndrome in Mast Cell Activation Disorders

Abstract

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/45/3/385.full
  2. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    POTS is so awful. I flush terribly. RED hot,even though we keep our home very cool for me. My doc and I decided to try Claritin and my hands felt awful. I had no idea that and other antihistamines have so many awful reactions. Many people do ok with H1 and H2 blockers. Not me of course... I am on Quercitin & Nettles now. HistaEze is another supplement that is good. POTS is a very hard thing to deal with. I am improving greatly, but still flush. I have not been consistant with the supplements for the flushing so I hope to get a lot of relief.

I have been concentrating on the healing of my nerves since I have Autonomic Neuropathy, most POTS is because of that. That has been great, but nerves heal slowly.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I wish that I understood how all this fits together because it surely must!

I have very high whole blood histamine levels and OI that is pretty well controlled with Florinef, no flushing though. I investigated systemic mastocytosis through a tryptase test but it was not out of range or even particularly high. My doctor doesn't understand systemic mastocytosis at all though and ordered the test basically just as a courtesy to me.

I also have EDS and I've seen a website that discusses this condition along with POTS and systemic mastocytosis. I thought it was interesting.

The Driscoll Theory: The Role of External Communicating Hydrocephalus, Mast Cell Disease and CCSVI as the Cause of POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

http://prettyill.com/videos/watch/why_eds_pots_patients_are_so_ill_relief_the_driscoll_theory
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Mastocytosis and MCAD are not the same. The former is increased number of mast cells, the latter is excessive mast cell degranulation.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It sounds like they can occur together.
  6. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Have you measured your plasma histamine levels?
  7. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Whole blood histamine is not useful, because most histamine is "bound" in basophils, for example. You need to know plasma histamine levels.
  8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Hmmm. That's interesting. Everything I've read on high histamine levels on the Internet deals with whole blood histamine and not plasma levels.

Can you point me to anything to read more about it?

Thanks!
  9. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Are you talking about things such as histadelia? Doing a search on Pubmed for the condition reveals: "Showing results for cittadelia. Your search for histadelia retrieved no results" In my opinion, histadelia is crapola!

Here's a real scientific article about histamine: Histamine and Histamine Intolerance. Look at Table 1.
  10. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Sally,

Do you your doctors do long-distance consultations? It seems you get a lot of good care from them and I'm interested in someone who knows supplements, especially because I'm having so much trouble tolerating so many of them.
  11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I requested a plasma histamine test but I got another whole blood result! Grrr. The good news is that it has dropped under 100 ng/mL for the first time since I started measuring it a year or so ago. Still too high which indicates undermethylation but improving which is encouraging!

So I will try again at my next blood draw in about a month...
  12. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Ema, actually a plasma histamine test will probably not be very useful either. The reason (unless you have a really big screw up going one - might be worth to test it once, I guess) is that histamine is rapidly converted to N-methylhistamine. N-methylhistamine stays in the body for hours and is eventually excreted in urine. Urinary N-methylhistamine is therefore the "useful" test.
  13. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Never underestimate the power of my body for a "really big screw up"! LOL.

Thanks for the info...I'll look into that test as well.

See more popular forum discussions.