The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POTS symptoms / diagnosis

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by whimbrel, Jan 14, 2016.

1. whimbrel

whimbrel

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has info about POTS diagnosis (or similar conditions)?

I saw a cardiologist about a year ago and had an ECG, 24 hour monitor and stress test - all were normal. I have had extreme dizziness / imbalance / feeling like I will faint when walking / standing / upright, this varies in severity from slightly annoying to almost impossible to deal with. Also had extremely bad headaches and tinnitus.

When I measured my blood pressure and pulse lying down, then at 2, 5 and 10 minutes, my blood pressure only changed slightly but pulse went from
    75 (lying down)
    115 (on standing)
    110 (2 minutes)
    100 (5 minutes)
    100 (10 minutes)

Am I correct in thinking that for a 'formal' diagnosis of POTS, the pulse rate has to stay more than 30 above resting rate for at least 10 minutes? Or does it just need to increase by 30 at some point within the 10 minutes?

Secondly, does anyone know how to encourage a GP (in the UK) to send me for a tilt table test? I have had so many tests and this is a symptom that has probably the biggest effect on my daily life, and i don't know how to resolve it!

Thanks for any info / suggestions.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

This I believe.

The problem with the 'formal' diagnostic criteria is that it excludes one from a diagnosis of POTS if you've had a lot of bed rest (as most of us with this disease have.) In practice I'm not sure how often this exclusion is actually used though.

4. adreno

adreno PR activist

My pulse rate goes up and down depending on symptom severity. There are probably days when I would pass a formal POTS diagnosis, and days when I wouldn't.

Sancar likes this.
  5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Same here.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

And here.

7. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Me too.

8. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    I am having this exact problem right now and I'm not sure what to do. I seem to go through relapse and remission of strong POTS symptoms. My heart rate is fine for long periods of time and then BAM, crazy racing & jumping heart for days out of nowhere.

I was evaluated by a cardiologist for this but when I asked for a tilt table test, he said "I can make anyone pass out on a tilt table, so I really don't think they're that useful in diagnosis." He had me wear a heart monitor for 14 days but of course, by the time I'd had the appt and gotten the monitor, I wasn't having symptoms anymore. Ugh.

Today the POTS-type symptoms are back so I did a little test. I don't have a blood pressure monitor but I tried doing the NASA lean test today, only checking my pulse. I had already been laying down for quite awhile (30 mins) so I took my pulse. It was 80 bpm. I got up, leaned against the wall with only my shoulder blades touching, and started timing.

I immediately felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I couldn't get enough air. I got really hot, my knees felt like they were going to buckle and I became nauseated all within the first 30 seconds. I only lasted 3 minutes total (because I was feeling like I was going to pass out) but by minutes 2 and 3 my heart rate was 130 bpm.

I know that a 50 bpm jump like this could mean POTS but I'm not sure what to do about it since it's intermittent and the cardio didn't give me a TTT.

Has anyone else been evaluated for intermittent POTS? Were you able to get a diagnosis and treatment?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  9. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Yes our POTs is a bit bizarre in CFS. It took for me a trip to Cleveland clinic + 3 days of testing to get the diagnostic, I was pushed autonomically to the point where last day I was shaking and trembling uncontrollably.
    the 30+ BPM is POTs period. You might want to call around for an ELectrophisiologyst that treats POTs, just move on from your cardio. I am No doctor , just my humble opinion.

bspg likes this.
  10. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

That's not really the point of the test. You'll probably want to see someone that specializes in autonomic disorders and have the full battery of autonomic tests not just the tilt table. Somewhere like Mayo, Stanford, etc.

ahimsa and Valentijn like this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

That doctor is either lying or has no idea what he's talking about.

ahimsa and bspg like this.
  12. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    I would love to do that but unfortunately I cannot afford it.

See more popular forum discussions.