• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS radical shift in symptoms

vortex

After a lifetime of blood pooling in my extremities I am now getting overconstriction and having very cold hands and feet after doing the methylation protocol.
I am up to 5mg of methylfolate for the first time in my life and my POTS has taken a radical turn and went from blood pooling and tachyardia to blood over constriction while just sitting and relaxing. I have had POTS symptoms for 40 years, I remember as a child I couldnt stand at the bathroom sink too long brushing my teeth as my feet would get red puffy and itchy.

I have been doing the methylation protocol and the thing I dont know yet is that I am not sure if I am healing and my system is coming back online and it is just oversensitive and overconstricting because it has never worked in my life and is just oversensitive right now and will eventually adjust or I am just getting wacky and chaotic dysautonomy and is not being healed, rather it has just grown more actively dysfunctional ?

rosie26

I have definitely experienced what feels like some big changes. I feel a lot more constriction and only in the last few years. Especially in my eyes, my vision feels strained, and I feel more tired and sore in the muscles behind the eyes. Some days are worse than others. I need to get my eyes checked. Sigh. Yet another thing I need to get seen to. Can't afford to do it at the moment.

But I do feel more constricted in my chest as well. More pressure internally.

Are you feeling the constriction in your eyes as well?

Last edited:

vortex

POTS is lack of constricting of blood vessels in the extremeties that maintain blood pressure and keep it from pooling upon standing. so this wouldnt apply to you in your vision or eyes. POTS makes your heart race upon standing much like a propeller on a plane over revs on a steep dive, there is just no resistance.

ryan31337

POTS is lack of constricting of blood vessels in the extremeties that maintain blood pressure and keep it from pooling upon standing. so this wouldnt apply to you in your vision or eyes.

Visual disturbances are really quite well accepted as being part of POTS symptoms. Commonly blurriness and sensitivity to glare.

POTS is pretty complicated because its just the end result of dissimilar problems. There's enough research out there now to show its not just a result of inadequate peripheral vasoconstriction though. I found this review quite helpful in understanding the flow type sub-sets of POTS: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1880427611800311

Perhaps you have shifted from one flow type to another.

rosie26

POTS is lack of constricting of blood vessels in the extremeties that maintain blood pressure and keep it from pooling upon standing. so this wouldnt apply to you in your vision or eyes. POTS makes your heart race upon standing much like a propeller on a plane over revs on a steep dive, there is just no resistance.
Yes, thanks. I know what POTS feels like. I have had it severe. I just have something else that feels like constriction added to all this existing mess of an illness. I wondered if you were experiencing anything with your eyes.

Last edited:

sb4

I had a massive permenant turn for the worse after high dose methylfolate. I suspect it just rappened my decline. My heart still pounded however weaker and I felt light headed, weaker and heart more rapid after.