Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POTS in the New York Times

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by bel canto, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

barbc56, Sushi, rosie26 and 7 others like this.
  2. Alea Ishikawa

Alea Ishikawa

Thanks for posting this.

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I think give POTS another 5-10 years and most doctors will be far more familiar with this. We really are seeing in the media more past couple of years.

4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@bel canto

Thanks for this article. Very readable.

While I don't have POTS, I would think this would be a good reference to show other people.

I'm confused why beta blockers are used. I can see why they would be helpful when standing but when lying down could they reduce your heart rate and blood pressure to a dangerous level?

I ask this as I had this happen to me. I was in the hospital for a low pulse and irregular ekg. During the night my pulse dropped to 32 and bp dropped to a dangerous level. When given an IV, both shot up very quickly. It was already decided in the ER not to take this medication.

All I remember is getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, fainted then woke up surrounded by all these people, some were medical students which upped how many people were there, ready to resuscitate me if necessary.

It was quite a scary experience.

Barb

rosie26 likes this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Some people with POTS have a mildly elevated supine and sitting heart rates, say around 80, so a beta blocker isn't as bad for them as it was for you.

Alea Ishikawa, rosie26 and barbc56 like this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Sidereal

Got it! Thanks. :thumbsup:

It's something I've wondered about for a long time but I keep forgetting to ask.:rolleyes:
    Barb

7. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

They claim it was caused by a virus but how are they sure? They arent. Clearly they are insinuating it is neuropathy from a virus, but their confidence in that cause I bet isn't clear. POTs isn't a cause specific disease unfortunately but just a set of symptoms that might be alleviated with a trial and error of meds as we know. the whole build up to a oh my god its pots and then having no real solution cracks me up.

8. Vic

Vic

Seriously. It's like, HELLO! SHE WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND HAD BACK SURGERY!

9. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

yes...car accident and no pituitary workup or diabetes insipidus workup....god help us all

See more popular forum discussions.