Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POTS comes in waves

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by jimmy86, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jimmy86

jimmy86

Hello,

my Pots syndromes seem to be coming and going in waves. Not just days, but weeks or even months.

For some weeks I do not have them at all, while in others they are bad.

More strikingly, the Pots symptoms seem to be negatively correlated with my cfs symptoms. In times when I am more fatigued I have less pots symptoms. Maybe the increased activity that leads to fatigue reduces the tachycardia...

Anyone experience similar stuff?

2. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

[QUOTE="jimmy86, post: 688201, member: ]In times when I am more fatigued I have less pots symptoms. Maybe the increased activity that leads to fatigue reduces the tachycardia...[/QUOTE]

I can't say my POTS comes and goes "in waves", which to me implies longer term variations. But, the severity does change from day to day -- quite significantly, in fact. Three days ago, my HR increased from supine to standing, completely still, by 101 bpm after two minutes. This is a record for me. This morning, it increased slightly less than the 30 bpm requirement.

My experience is the opposite of yours. In times of more fatigue, my POTS is worse. Increased activity (both physical and cognitive) worsens my tachycardia. Rest improves it.

jimmy86 likes this.
  3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    My symptoms definitely wax and wane over fairly long periods of time. For example, last October and November I went to the Emergency Room three times to get IV saline. Since then the POTS has been much better, and I've only had one episode of three-day-migraine. My ability to do activities of daily living have improved, too, but I am still severely limited and spend most of my time horizontal.

I find that being more exhausted results in more POTS symptoms and tachycardia, like @Old Bones

jimmy86 likes this.
  4. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I also had long periods of time of SEVERE POTS and less issues... though interestingly I kind of went through a build up where they were coming more frequently and lasting longer until they got built up enough were they were constant for three months.

Then they started to receed quite quickly. And now I have periods of weeks or so of more episodes then I start doing better. I'm relating it to periods where I'm struggling with low blood pressure which seems to wax and wane and POTS is worse when it starts running too low - I am assuming that low blood pressure is a contributing factor as a result - though who knows whats really at the root.

jimmy86 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.