May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POTS can not be solely due to deconditioning - German study

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A corollary from this might be that getting a person with POTS to exercise may not make them no longer have POTS.

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Dolphin, indeed they haven't even shown why people appear to be deconditioned. I would argue that some at least have physical problems preventing good performance. In other words, rather than looking for a correlation between deconditioning and POTS, they should have been looking for some common factor that leads to both (such as undiagnosed ME, but there could be other things). I hate such superficial studies, but I do have to say that since I haven't read the whole paper they may indeed have tried to examine other issues: abstracts are very unreliable.

Bye
    Alex

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i think with cfs symptoms it depends where the virus hit us, it seems to hit everyone in the nervous system in some way, for me its the sleep centre and memory, for others its pots and some get alot of pain i think because it can hit the nerves in some way. As far a deconditioning go's, i know with me sometimes i can do something physical with not too many problems and the next week do the same thing again and struggle, if it was deconditioning this wouldnt happen. I think it may have alot to do with viral/retroviral reactivation which could increase inflammatory chemicals etc which disable us just that bit more then when no reactivation is going on.

cheers!!!

4. bakercape

bakercape Senior Member

Cape Cod. Mass
    I so agree

With everything you are saying here. I read somewhere that a high percentage of Pots that began in teenagers started after a case of Mono. A virus or retrovirus in my mind must be a contributer or initiater of POTS in many many cases. Either directly in the nervous system or indirectly through cytokine production.

See more popular forum discussions.