1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."
In 2012, Maya, who had tried to cope with ME/CFS on her own for many years, attended a pain management centre in Wales, U.K., and is now able to achieve more through pacing and acceptance, than she had been able to before the course...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Potential remedy for CFS/Fibromyalgia (Biotin)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Wayne, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    A new poster over on the ProHealth board just started an interesting thread entitled:

Potential remedy for CFS/Fibromyalgia

2. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Thanks Wayne, that's very interesting.

Biotin is one of the big players in the KPU protocol. Apparently people with high levels of metal toxicity can excrete any Biotin they produce...and they often don't produce enough in the first place if they have gut problems. So it sounds like for many of us it may be well worth a trial :)

Thanks again for posting!
  3. Suzy

Suzy Guest

Very interesting. I have high propionic acid in my blood which apparently can be caused by low biotin according to rich V.
  4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Biotin for Agitated Exhaustion ?

Does anybody ever have the experience where you read about something that might be helpful for your health, and it just sort of "lights up" for you. That's what happened when I saw this thread on biotin, and so I went out and bought some yesterday (high potency of 5mg). I paid a little over $5 for it.

Well, I got home and took one right away, and shortly after went down for my afternoon nap. I noticed I slept differently (better) than normal, and into the evening noticed more of a calmness in my system.

Now this morning, I'm continuing to notice the same thing. It is a pleasant relief! I've long had "agitated exhaustion" with great difficulty settling down. Microcurrent therapy (alpha-stim) has been very helpful, but I am feeling optmistic about what biotin might be able to do for me as I continue using it.

I would recommend this to Cort (who has mentioned his inablity to relax), but I don't want to interfere with his prodigious writing, which I so much appreciate. So please everybody, don't tell Cort about this post! :D

Wayne
  5. andreamarie

andreamarie Senior Member

I have been taking a vitamin compound that has 3,000 mg of biotin in it. I started it over a yr ago for my hair and nails. It's been amazing for my hair (except it grows faster and I have to color roots more often. My nails are the best they've been. But I haven't noticed anything else. I'm going to increase it for a wk and see what happens.
  6. anncavan

anncavan

San Francisco, CA
    I just came across this old string. It's been a while since the posting. Anyone else see improvements w Biotin?
  7. Aussie Kathy

Aussie Kathy

Gold Coast Australia
    Sad to say I have been taking Biotin for over two years with no noticable improvement.

Sorry to be the party pooper.
  8. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Very interesting Wayne. I was prescribed 5mg biotin 2x a day...months and months ago, but you know how it goes...a cupboard full of supplements, one tends to not know what is helping, what is helping, plus one gets REALLY sick of taking all these things.

Having said that...biotin is one of the things I've not taken very often in the past 2 months...and this past month has been HELL...just extremely agitated and restless, yet can hardly stand up.

So...even though this is a year old, and not everyone might benefit, I'm glad I found the thread, and will try and get some more biotin today. I wasn't anywhere near this bad even 2-3 months ago.

Thanks!
  9. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    If you have low cortisol, low cortisol precursors, low androgens, etc. biotin can drive the wrong end of the pathway and make you worse. People should find out what's wrong with themselves first if possible and address what they find there before just taking random supplements because it supposedly cured someone else's CFS. Imo.
  10. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    hi Mr.Kite

Do you have any references you can point me to in stating that additonal biotin lowers cortisol? I can't seem to find any when searching for it. To the contrary, I've heard other people say it can help in raising cortisol..but there again..they did not cite references to those claims.
  11. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    I tried biotin at that dosage for a goodly number of months with no discernible difference whatsoever, I'm afraid.
  12. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    After reading an Article by Mercola on the benefits of eating raw eggs, I think I'm going to start introducing them into my smoothies. Mercola eats four raw eggs a day! I think I'll start with one. :rolleyes: The article says that egg whites inhibit the uptake of biotin, so many people don't eat them. But Mercola believes there is so much biotin in the egg yolks (nature's balance) that you can eat the whole egg raw and not be affected. For anybody who might be interested in upping their biotin intake using foods, eating just the egg yolk would probably do that very well.
  13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I think I will start with none. :vomit:
    brenda likes this.
  14. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    Hey. I never said that biotin lowers cortisol, only that biotin can drive the metabolic pathways in ways that the cell might not be ready or able to handle, much like exercising can drive the aerobic pathways and make you worse, even though exercising might even increase cortisol. Depends on the person and their mitochondrial and energy metabolic profile, what energy blockages exist in the cell, electron transport chain, etc. Sorry for the delay, I just saw the reply now when the thread was re-activated.
  15. Radio

Radio *****

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    jeffrez, Hanna and Wayne like this.
  16. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks Radio, I wasn't sure what was the purpose of the L-Lysine (500 mg twice a day) in your protocole... Got the answer now.

See more popular forum discussions.