1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Potential Clinical Sign for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Valentijn, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
  2. John Mac

John Mac

Liverpool UK
    Could they be talking about the "Perrin Point"? I went to a lecture by Dr Perrin a couple of years ago and he mentioned a painful spot just above the left nipple that he believes is caused by a problem with the lymphatic system. I have it. If you were able to look at yourself from the front it would in the 10 o'clock position about an inch or so away from your left nipple. Does anyone else have it?

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis ?

Does sound a bit CFS-ey. Thought to be linked to connective tissue problems. May be linked to anxiety. No-one really knows what causes it or what to do about it.... sounds worryingly familiar.

4. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Utterly amazing - The 3rd ICS is exactly the center of my tenderness before I developed and during FM/CFS.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I don't exactly have this tender spot but its the same location where I occasionally get intense burning pain. Heart issues were ruled out. This spot is also small. No doctor has ever figured it out. Bye, Alex

6. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    You have a left nipple???

Actually I do have it (nipple and tender spot), but it's not that obvious. I do have to press.

7. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    I think I need a picture or a diagram. Is this right directly above the nipple or higher up. I am trying to figure out the ten o'clock position from the opposite direction. If it is a bit higher up, that is also an FMS tender point so it could be confusing. Also, for some women, wouldn't this be hard to find, especially if they have a lot of cysts? Both areas on the left and right side are tender. Damn, now it stings. Should not have done that.:(

8. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I found the tender spot. But I also have it on the right side.

9. John Mac

John Mac

Liverpool UK
    Andrew wrote:
    "I found the tender spot. But I also have it on the right side."

Damn it, Now I've got it on both sides.

10. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Maybe this research was just a cruel joke to get ME patients poking their nipples :innocent1:

But seriously, I found a spot in that area too. On the left side it produces sharp pain when I poke it, which feels quite a bit different than tender points.

I think it's a little tougher for us girls to find it since the nipples aren't a particularly reliable reference point. For me it's at the top of the breast, where things are a little thicker but nowhere near full boobage is in the way. About an inch (or two centimeters) left of the center of the ribcage.

11. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Yeh I don't think they should be thinking about this one as a potential sign. Too much ammunition for those who want to assign us to the looney bin.

12. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    I have this tender point when I'm in a relapse, but not when in remission (Perrin himself noted this in me).

Jenny

13. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Towards the armpit? i have tender points all over my ribs both above and below the breast on the left side. Sometimes i get sore lumps appearing too especially on the left below the breast.

Boobage -love it!

Perhaps i should stop looking for it -after all I know i have M.E.

14. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Maybe the key point is that both Perrin and the new study point to problems in the lymphatic circulation as the triggers for these sensitive or painful areas. Cheney's rebounders to the rescue!Or lymphatic massage... Chris

15. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Yes, that's what Perrin thinks - he does lymphatic drainage massage and claims some success.

Jenny

16. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The spot I found (not sure if it's the same one in the paper), isn't near the armpit, but between (and above) the left nipple and the breastbone/center of the ribcage.

I dunno, seems like an entertaining way to pass an afternoon :)

17. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I've not followed through here but one would think collapsing in the street just might be an indication of a problem somewhere.

(though I appreciate the Perrin technique - not cure - may aid symptoms)

18. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    But collapsing could be due to all sorts of problems, and it seems that around 30% of those who think they have ME may be misdiagnosed. But I find this interesting not so much as an aid to diagnosis, rather an indication of one of the things that might be happening in the body (clogged lymphatics), which might then suggest a therapy.

Jenny

19. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Lots of therapies Jenny - I want the cause being a typical "Royal Free" case with all reported then. Actually I'm able to gently and slowly walk again - just and recognise neighbours again which is a relief - it's just that there are so many symptoms and indications much more obvious in the first place.

20. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    From Valentjn: Maybe this research was just a cruel joke to get ME patients poking their nipples :innocent1:

Hee Hee! This was a good laugh!

See more popular forum discussions.