Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Potential Biomarker

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by RL_sparky, Apr 17, 2016.

1. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    I saw this on the Bateman Horne Center webpage. I'm curious what @Jonathan Edwards and @alex3619 think of this?

https://batemanhornecenter.org/uncovering-biomarkers-fcg-receptors/

Continue reading here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
    Aroa, *GG*, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  2. M Paine

M Paine Senior Member

Auckland, New Zealand
    Saw this article on the weekend, fascinating read. Would love to hear @Jonathan Edwards comments on this.

Aroa, MeSci and Comet like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

If she is looking for FcR polymorphisms as risk factors for ME/CFS that seems a reasonable thing to look for. FcR polymorphism do confer risk to some autoimmune diseases. What I am not clear about is the link to NK function. As I understand it the finding in ME/CFS is that NK cell killing of K562 cells is defective. However, I am not sure that his is FcR or antibody dependent. I don't see why there should be any antibody to K562 cells in the assay for FcR to bind. To be honest I am not quite sure why NK cells kill K562s anyway! Maybe somebody else knows more.

Aroa, RogerBlack, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is a potential biomarker or risk factor. Its early days in the research. It might work out, or not. Its certainly worth investigating, even if only to rule it out.

I am guessing a lot of the information they are using is not yet published, which is what is happening in a lot of places, though I could be wrong. I think that is probably the case at NCNED, where they are might be well ahead of what is published, but they cannot talk about it untill after publication. Multiply that by the many other sites. Of course I might also be guilty of wishful thinking in this.

One of the issues that biomarker discovery faces in a broad multisystem disease is that any biomarker might be secondary to the cause or causes. That might not stop it from being an effective biomarker though, either by itself or in combination with other markers. In fact, given the highly heterogenous nature of symptoms in ME and CFS I think we might eventually wind up with a biomarker panel, rather than a single biomarker.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Aroa, A.B., mango and 10 others like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Thanks for posting, hard to read all that large blocks of text, better than the email they sent, some Blue background if I recall correctly. That was not possible for me to read. :(

GG

RL_sparky likes this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Any news on this front?

GG

See more popular forum discussions.