1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

potato chip crash

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by roonie, Jan 15, 2014.

1. roonie

roonie

Just wondering who here find potatoe chips their absolute worst food offender. Im telling you, if i have even one potatoe chip im sick for two weeks. I have a couple of local cfs buddies that are exactly like this so i wanted to see how common it is, and if in fact there is some kind of connection as to why a potatoe chip can be so inflammatory
  2. Ayaju

Ayaju *****

San Diego, CA
    I don't know about potato chips specifically being especially offensive, but I do know that for me ALL grains are problematic, and that includes potatoes, even though it's not a grain... but corn is in the category too.

It's so interesting the progression I've had. First I gave up gluten for 6 months, and that helped me. Then I'm advised by several sources to give up all grains too! And that seemed utterly impossible to achieve!! But NOW it's entirely easy and manageable! It's like... the seed was planted and needed time to grow, and then when I was ready to make the shift, all the cool superfoods and herbs came into my awareness, and I couldn't be happier with my diet!

I've only been off grains for a couple weeks, but I've lost a lb! I haven't been able to lose weight for years! I don't miss sugar either! Stevia and Xylitol do the trick.

Well, looks like you sparked a ramble from me, Roonie!

Judy
  3. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I have a major problem with potato chips as well. They are extremely high in oxalates (as are potatoes) which, if you are reactive to oxalates could be one reason.
  4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Potato chips are one of my "rescue foods" with the high sodium content plus potassium. But I also have sketchy adrenal function so that may be why this works so well for me. I still try not to eat them more than once a month or so though due to the carbs.
    rosie26 likes this.
  5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Is Jim Jones alive and well on PR?

Left Coast
    I eat a small bag of Pop Chips every day and have no problem with them.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    It seems a lot of potato chips these days are made using canola oil. Though it is often used in "health food" products, it can actually be quite detrimental. Perhaps something to consider.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Some flavors of potato chip / crisps contain monosodium glutamate, which some people may be sensitive to.
  8. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Like @Ema potato chips are a "rescue food" for me too. I have often bought a small packet when I have been out and I notice it picks me up a bit. I don't always remember to buy them. It is just every now and again.
  9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I have also found potato chips to be excellent predictors of my cycle...if I am found rummaging in the pantry at midnight for chips, the next day is not one to choose to wear the white pants. :D
    rosie26 likes this.
  10. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    My favorite is chicken, have you tried dipping them into vanilla icecream anyone? really nice :D
  11. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Does Cricket get chips as well? She looks expectant.
  12. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    All this talk of chips has made me crave some! Thanks a lot guys...;)

Cricket and Ivey are both big fans of the potato chip. BIG fans.
  13. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Mm.. I want chips as well... but i live 7 kilometres out of town. Should have prepared for this
  14. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Might just order some from iherb
  15. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I want to get the kimchi chips. We have no unusual flavors here in this country. It is very disappointing.

I usually just get the original Terra chips which are a mixture of root vegetables.
  16. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    A radio talkback host here was talking about how much he loved potato chips and it was the topic of discussion for 3 hours one morning. I had to go out and get some after that. I bet a lot got sold that day here.
  17. roonie

roonie

guess i should have turned this into a poll....lol
    beaverfury likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.