• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium Tablet recommendations. Citrate? Gluconate? Help

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I started methylfolate today at a really low dose and am supplementing with potassium glutamate powder.

However, the potassium in that form is making me really nauseated, (yes i took it with food). It started the minute it went down my throat.

I need to get the most bang for my buck. I found a Members Mark Potassium Gluconate 500 tablets for about $13.00 Is there a certain kind of potassium I should be taking or is this ok?

Thanks

ahmo

@minkeygirl I take my K+ as a footbath, AM/PM. Works stunningly well. I only take it orally when I'm in strife and need it NOW. I've just worked it out that it's probably the K+ ( ( do all aminos, minerals in footbaths) that's causing the softening of my tonnails, and have just applied nail polish, which I'll be doing regularly from now on. cheers, ahmo

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@pela I can't get out but I found a bottle of 500 for about $13 bucks including shipping on Amazon. That seems to be the cheapest I've found. Simply Right Potassium.

It's gluconate so I'll just get that. I didn't know if there was a particular potassium I needed for methylation.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just read a review and someone said these are really big so I need to rethink and keep looking. I have a hard time with pills so..

I found some that have calcium in them. I wonder if that is ok?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@pela, just found some 21st century for $1.88 for 110 plus free shipping so I bought 5 bottles. That'll tide me over till I figure out what to do.

Martial

There isn't a specific kind you need, just enough to cover hypo kalemia symptoms from methylation treatment. You could try the one you mentioned above and I am sure it would be fine. I would just highly recommend getting the powder instead and finding a ways to make it work for you. The pills if you take too many is concentrated and will really upset your gut lining and stomach, I used to get really bad burning pains from not using enough water with my K+ Powder for example. I would imagine that it would be even worse from using a multiple 99g pills at once to reach a bit higher of doses.

caledonia

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@caledonia, I had that powder and was nauseated the entire day from it. I had a full stomach and I got nauseous before it even got down my throat. I remember I had the same problem with the Lo Salt stuff.

@Martial I found some tablets pretty cheap. It would be easier to take them throughout the day to avoid the nausea since I graze. I can try crushing them too and see how that works if I have problems My gut may not be as "delicate" as yours LOL. And it may be that type of potassium. Who knows?

I remember Freddd telling me he took tons of pills a day but that was a few years ago.

Martial

Fred still takes at least 7 to 8 with each meal, he told me this a few months back Lol, yes my stomach is pretty delicate and sensitive haha! Not in a because I am sick way either, just don't have a very good stomach for things that taste bad or bug me.. Lol

Anyways that could work, best to go by how you feel for the most part! I think you will be fine doing that, I would try and use any form but chloride though, that definitely stings the most!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I find that I have to be well hydrated to handle potassium. I only take 300 mg at a time and it still sometimes bothers me.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
My doctor prescribed potassium chloride for my low potassium (3.2), but it is bright orange and full of artificial flavourings, "natural flavors" and dyes. My body would meltdown if I took it.

Would the NOW Potassium Gluconate Powder work for me or should I be sticking with potassium chloride?

I've been warned about the dangers of supplementing with potassium-- how low should I start? Thank you!

sueami

There is too much concern over supplementing with potassium, I'm concluding. I was worried about it as well. The RDA is 4700mg. My physician prescribed 1500mg tablets for me, one daily and take a second one if I still have symptoms of low-potassium (which for me seems to be heart palps, anxiety and muscle twitching).

He told me he woke up in the night with palpitations and anxiety from a dream and popped four of them. He has his 80-something year-old father on a tablet a day, so even slow digestive systems can tolerate them, he says.

I take potassium chloride for the 1500mg tabs. I also have 99mg capsules that are a blend of gluconate, citrate and aspartate which I sometimes take 3-4 of when I notice what I think might be minor symptoms or I take a quarter tsp of potassium chloride in the form of no-salt.

Most people seem to start at 300-400 mg but I've been taking 1500mg just fine. It's just a pain to take that many 99mg tabs.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a thread about this somewhere where @Martial said any kind is fine. You can probably find it if you look around. I think I have Gluconate which I got really cheap. You are't supposed to take more than 300 mgs at a time because that's all your body can handle.

The No Salt makes me nauseous so I stay away from it.

ahmo

My preference is NOW K+ Gluconate powder. I like this form because it's easy to alter doses. I'm currently using 750 or 1500mg AM/PM. Tending toward the higher dose. K+ chloride powder at these doses is unpalatable.

I also now generally take mine in a footbath w/ my aminos. I started footbaths when I was using magnesium oil, and needed far more than just a few squirts on my skin. I no longer use the mg oil, but have continued w/ the FB method. It's far easier for taking these K+ doses. If I need extra, eg. in the night, like sue's physician, I take 520mg orally (1 tsp).

When I was raising my folate, I generally needed additional, determined by heart palps, restlessness. These days I find that when my tinnitus increases, due to stressed adrenals, I need extra.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
I just ordered the Now powder. I have been using no salt, but it has "natural flavors" which I sometimes react to and which I worry is MSG (especially since it's a salt flavour product).

Thanks for the help!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I eventually had digestive problems from the no salt. I use the NOW powder and some pills, which vary, because sometimes the pills are more handy. When I do the powder, I add a little sea salt and magnesium to keep things balanced and some taurine to help absorption.