1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Potassium supplementation? Please help!

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Moshi, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Moshi

Moshi

Sweden
    I just went all cold inside when I refilled my pill-minder box....maybe....possibly...I have forgotten to take my Alcar Fumarate for the past...week???? If so....is that the reason why I am now dragging my left leg behind me? And if so....what would be my best strategy for getting out of this paradoxical folate insufficiency and/or methyl trap- situation? I am already planning to increase M-folate tomorrow up to 4,5-5mg....should I increase MCbl too...or wait? Help is greatly appreciated! ( oh yeah and of course I will make sure to take my carnitine tomorrow....but IF my body's been missing it for a week...how will it react?)
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @Moshi Yes, it's not easy to understand these issues. I've re-read posts countless times, still have the most basic comprehension. You say Alcar Fumarate: There are 2 popular forms of carnitine. Acetyl-Carnitine, known as Alcar, and L-Carnitine Fumarate, which we call LCF. So what you've written seems to be a combination of the 2. For me, Alcar was useless, LCF potent. And yes, TMG is a methyl donor. Your missed doses could have caused your system to gasp for more.

Now I see a more recent post. I don't know whether missing the carnitine would be the cause, but that combined w/ missing TMG might indeed. Yes, increase those things. Definitely increase the B12 to balance the folate, else you can wind up with histamine or other symptoms of 'over-methylation'. On the ocassions when increasing folate has created symptoms in me, I've had excellent results by immediately taking a 1 mg B12. These symptoms, for me, include weepy eyes, agitation , restlessness, wheezy, itchiness.

I'm posting a collection of quotes from Freddd that might turn on some lightbulbs for you. First, a post from @whodathunkit, who has a remarkably good ability to put these things into understandable language and analogies. Hope this helps.;)

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cannot-tolerate-oral-b12-–-causes-shortness-of-breath-and-tachycardia-why.28910/page-4#post-454211
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/couple-of-questions.22718/page-3#post-407888
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ylation-and-healing.21725/page-20#post-422644
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ficiency-insufficiency-and-edema.26944/unread
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Moshi

Moshi

Sweden
    Ahmo, once again, thanks for you reply and the valuable info....things are indeed a bit clearer to me now...even if a high degree of complexity still remain...as it does for most of us I'm sure...otherwise no threads in this forum ;-)
    You, and others, have given me renewed hope! Even though my leg is still limp and paralysed, and I woke up with swollen lips (thats a first) and aching arms etc, I am now hopeful that tweaking my methyl supps may do the trick!
    By the end of this week I will be aiming for 5mg Mfolate, 3 mg MeCbl and 4mg AdCbl, together with 1,2 g LCF + 400mg Alcar (as part of Jarrow CarnitAll 600+) Is that a reasonable ratio? I will supplement with 700mg Potassium Gluconate also.
    Hopefully this will yield some positive results, if not, I may consider upping methyl supps even more....
    If my leg neuropathy is fixed by this, It will be proof to me that Freddd's theory on paradox folate definciency and healing crisis etc is correct...In the meantime, I will try to focus on the scientific- and experimental side of all of this, instead of being scared out of my mind.....and I will definitely apply more diligence and care to my personal protocol, carelessness can be detrimental....obviously.
  4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Here's hoping it works:thumbsup:

I've just been doing some reading re folates from vegetables, after my body yesterday said "No" to my usual zucchini. I'm wondering now if my vegetable intake has also been contributing to my high folate need. I'm not eating a lot of veggies, but maybe when we're sensitive, it doesn't take a lot. If you're eating lot's of veggies, you might try cutting back. This is about the type of folate in veggies interfering w/ absorption of the Mfolate. I'll be pulling some quotes for myself later, if you think it might apply to you, I'll pass them on.
  5. Moshi

Moshi

Sweden
    Ahmo, thanks again for input! Re: veggie consumption, yes, I eat quite a lot (more veg than animal as I am to avoid too much animal protein due to SNP's) it's not easy....should not eat carbs, should not eat animal protein, should not eat too much veg....what the **** is one left with!!?? :) :) :) to answer your question, I do not believe that I've had more veg than usual lately though.....I feel like there could be quite a few other reasons why these severe neuro-symptoms have been triggered.....I just wish I could undo all of my recent changes and go back to where I was three weeks ago....I am so, so, so scared that I've inflicted permanent neurological damage...I thinking I should try to increase my daily potassium to 1g or above......praying that will work....!
  6. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Hi Moshi. I seriously doubt this is permanent damage, when you describe having forgotten to take things you had been using. I'm on GAPS diet, 2+ years. I eat a v minimalist diet. I know Yasko suggests avoiding meat, but Cutler says it's high thiol we need to avoid, and meat is assimilated differently. I can't give you the technical reasons. I eat about a palm-sized piece of animal protein; once a day when I'm doing coffee enemas, twice a day when not. But no high thiol veggies, etc.

But get this: it turns out my veggie intake, which had gradually increased (only peeled zuke, but slightly larger portions) was having a major impact. Whereas I've been gradually increasing my folate by .25mg at a time, over months, I'm now 2 days with no vegetable at all, and have reduced my folate from 24.25mg to 18mg. And B12 from 31 to 25mg. With no deficiency symptoms whatsoever. I feel great! This is a revelation.
    Here's some really helpful info from Freddd:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...untrap-a-methyl-trap.28218/page-2#post-430351
    And here's a response I got yesterday when I expressed what was happening w/ me:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-dosage-methylfolate-users.29976/page-5
    My MTHFR is compound hetero, but you've got homozygous + an additional one. Double whammy. I hope this is what's going on.:hug:

See more popular forum discussions.