• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium/Sodium Balance

i have Adrenal Fatigue; and with this condition, it isnt recommended to supplement with Potassium(let alone high amounts)

IF i do supplement with potassium; i think i would need to supplement with Sodium as well.(Celtic Sea Salt).

would supplementing with Sodium,kick potassium out of the cell?making the potassium i take ineffective?? or vice versa??

i started Freddd's protocol about two weeks ago.

Plum

I have severe adrenal fatigue and have found unrefined salt like the Celtic one very important. I try to eat 1 or 2 bananas a day and eat a lot of veg which should give enough potassium. I personally feel that getting on top of adrenal issues needs to come before methylation issues.

I did also read recently that the adrenals can be calmed in the evening with potassium rich coconut water which is apparently good for them at that time of day. I haven't looked into it further.

L'engle

moogle
Something I recently learned is that manyt high potassium sources such as supplementation and foods such as cocoa canlower your platelet count. So if you happen to start having low platelet symptoms while you're potassium loading it'ss something to watch out for. I had this effect from coconut water as well personally, when I was drinking more than a can a day. This was during high potassium loading in resoponse to methylcobalamin, not normal potassium intake. Hopefully most people will not encounter this problem but it can be something to watch out for if you've had low platelets in the past.

thanks for the responses you guys.

Plum , good to know that you are doing ok w/ adrenals even while taking potassium.

L'engle i really hope that doesnt happen to me; id feel defeated,,,wouldnt know where to turn w/the potassium issue.

L'engle

moogle
I
thanks for the responses you guys.

Plum , good to know that you are doing ok w/ adrenals even while taking potassium.

L'engle i really hope that doesnt happen to me; id feel defeated,,,wouldnt know where to turn w/the potassium issue.
I was really loading a lot at the time. I overramped my high dose methylcobalamin and ended up in insatiable potassium loss. It was a risk I took in experimenting with high doses. I think under normal circumstances it won't happen but if it somehow does, well I'd like to save others the annoying detective work I had to do to figure this out. :)

L'engle

moogle
L'engle What are low platelet symptoms?
For me they are tiny red spots on my arms as well as my blood looking very watery if I got a scrape on my arm or leg. Also if I scratched my legs there would be some bruising along lines where I scratched. It's better now that I lowered my intake of high potassium foods. I think my situation was unusual and not likely to happen to most people. I was taking 30mg of methylcobalamin per day, not under anyone's advice, and got into insatiable potassium loss.

Plum

Yes but I take very little of it and not that often! I do also eat a lot of salt as I do salt waste. Diet for me is my biggest source of any nutrient.

Yes but I take very little of it and not that often! I do also eat a lot of salt as I do salt waste. Diet for me is my biggest source of any nutrient.

ok. and how much b12/folate do you take?? ,my salt wasting companion. lol

For me they are tiny red spots on my arms as well as my blood looking very watery if I got a scrape on my arm or leg. Also if I scratched my legs there would be some bruising along lines where I scratched. It's better now that I lowered my intake of high potassium foods. I think my situation was unusual and not likely to happen to most people. I was taking 30mg of methylcobalamin per day, not under anyone's advice, and got into insatiable potassium loss.

holy crap, i actually do have those tiny red spots;about 10 in total on my ankles/calves. just read up on them, theyre called "Petechia"- this has to do with thin blood? i wonder if theres any correlation between Petechia and b12 induced anemia which i know nothing about but ive heard of it;;;or possibly any correlation with low blood pressure/POTS -which actually effects the amount of blood in ur body.

ill be getting platelet tested verrrry soon.

Plum

ok. and how much b12/folate do you take?? ,my salt wasting companion. lol

I'm not taking any at the moment. I was taking half a source naturals lozenge. I've come off it as I need to try and feel my best for upcoming surgery.

L'engle

moogle
holy crap, i actually do have those tiny red spots;about 10 in total on my ankles/calves. just read up on them, theyre called "Petechia"- this has to do with thin blood? i wonder if theres any correlation between Petechia and b12 induced anemia which i know nothing about but ive heard of it;;;or possibly any correlation with low blood pressure/POTS -which actually effects the amount of blood in ur body.

ill be getting platelet tested verrrry soon.
Good idea to get them tested. I realized I got something a bit wrong on my earlier post. When I scratched my arm or leg it wasn't bruises, it was blood pooled under the surface a little while after scratching. You could scratch your arm and see if blood pools under the surface. If it's really bad though you would want to do anything to avoid the bleeding. Yes, petechia, that's the word for the other little dots of pooled blood. I found these improved when I lower my potassium intake but I do still have some on my arms.

ahmo

i have Adrenal Fatigue; and with this condition, it isnt recommended to supplement with Potassium(let alone high amounts)

IF i do supplement with potassium; i think i would need to supplement with Sodium as well.(Celtic Sea Salt).

would supplementing with Sodium,kick potassium out of the cell?making the potassium i take ineffective?? or vice versa??

i started Freddd's protocol about two weeks ago.

I also have adrenal fatigue, and have been taking adrenal glandular supps for about 1.5 years, which has been a great help. I also supplement potassium. Before I discovered my underlying conditions, before the adrenal supplementation, I'd been avoiding salt, experiencing water retention. Now, I use salt to taste (Himalayan), as well as potassium gluconate, 3-6 g (NOW powder). Even though I've been using potassium for several years, and am finally getting to understand more quickly when I need it, it's only just in the last weeks that I've realized that many of my symptoms since the onset of ME/CFS have been due to low K+, particularly feeling light-headed, on the verge of fainting. Here's a post of Fred's re K+. I'm on Freddd's Protocol, fully implemented in March this year. It's working for me, at last, since getting in all 4 components. cheers, ahmo

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...kalemia-and-methylfolate-insufficiency.22968/

I also have adrenal fatigue, and have been taking adrenal glandular supps for about 1.5 years, which has been a great help. I also supplement potassium. Before I discovered my underlying conditions, before the adrenal supplementation, I'd been avoiding salt, experiencing water retention. Now, I use salt to taste (Himalayan), as well as potassium gluconate, 3-6 g (NOW powder). Even though I've been using potassium for several years, and am finally getting to understand more quickly when I need it, it's only just in the last weeks that I've realized that many of my symptoms since the onset of ME/CFS have been due to low K+, particularly feeling light-headed, on the verge of fainting. Here's a post of Fred's re K+. I'm on Freddd's Protocol, fully implemented in March this year. It's working for me, at last, since getting in all 4 components. cheers, ahmo

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...kalemia-and-methylfolate-insufficiency.22968/

thanks for this!!!
do/did you have low cortisol or high? im low. about to go on a cortisol steroid

Good idea to get them tested. I realized I got something a bit wrong on my earlier post. When I scratched my arm or leg it wasn't bruises, it was blood pooled under the surface a little while after scratching. You could scratch your arm and see if blood pools under the surface. If it's really bad though you would want to do anything to avoid the bleeding. Yes, petechia, that's the word for the other little dots of pooled blood. I found these improved when I lower my potassium intake but I do still have some on my arms.

i feel stupid for this - but how would i know blood is pooling after i scratch?
i believe my high histamine/heat is causing low platelets. i KNOW i have an overactive immune system because my histamine is so ridiculously high; overactive immune system commonly leads to ITP(low platelets)

i def will be getting the platelets checked in a week or two

L'engle

moogle
i feel stupid for this - but how would i know blood is pooling after i scratch?
i believe my high histamine/heat is causing low platelets. i KNOW i have an overactive immune system because my histamine is so ridiculously high; overactive immune system commonly leads to ITP(low platelets)

i def will be getting the platelets checked in a week or two
Sorry to hear your having such trouble! My post wasn't too clear. What happened to me is that I had an itch on my arms and legs so gave a good rough scratch on my upper arms and thighs. When I took a bath later I noticed that where I scratched, there were lines of purplish marks that when I looked at them closely looked like blood pooled under the surface of my skin. They didn't actually bleed but it looked like bleeding happened under the skin. It's not a reliable diagnostic really, just something I noticed. If I had known that my platelets were low I might not have scratched that roughly as causing bleeding under my skin creeps me out! This isn't happening now but I still have the petechia. So I think the petechia happen much more easily than the blood pooling. Best to get the blood test overall but in the meantime you can take note of whether your skin seems to get purplish marks under the surface from everyday things like scratching an itch.

Sorry to hear your having such trouble! My post wasn't too clear. What happened to me is that I had an itch on my arms and legs so gave a good rough scratch on my upper arms and thighs. When I took a bath later I noticed that where I scratched, there were lines of purplish marks that when I looked at them closely looked like blood pooled under the surface of my skin. They didn't actually bleed but it looked like bleeding happened under the skin. It's not a reliable diagnostic really, just something I noticed. If I had known that my platelets were low I might not have scratched that roughly as causing bleeding under my skin creeps me out! This isn't happening now but I still have the petechia. So I think the petechia happen much more easily than the blood pooling. Best to get the blood test overall but in the meantime you can take note of whether your skin seems to get purplish marks under the surface from everyday things like scratching an itch.

thanks for this, ill give it a try.
i know i do have blood pooling tho - when i stand "all" of my blood goes to my feet and they get itchy and discolored; and i have more examples too. i hear the pooling is common with low blood pressure/POTS. low pletelets would add another dimension to it tho. this is probly why i bleed so much getting tattoos. sucks because i wanted to get some more very soon.. you wouldnt recommend bleeding that much tho would you..?

If you're getting a high need for potassium upon starting methylation, this is supposed to be caused by leaky gut. You should stop and treat for that first. "Pushing through" won't fix leaky gut.

oh wow interesting. im pretty sure i have this. i did a self test where i took betaine hcl; took two caps and my stomach hurt for days - supposedly if you cant handle alot of capsules then you have leaky gut. i guess ill start taking a bunch of slippery elm now..

unrelated - i know i for sure have a hiatal hernia at least