• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium questions

Hey @BigD... I have been on Freddd's Methylation Protocol for many months now. I take quite a lot of Potassium Gluconate (Bulk Supplements from Amazon) every day. On average, I take about 2 grams every 3-4 hours. By the end of the day I will have taken up to 8 grams--give or take a gram. Lest anyone think this is a Magnesium deficiency issue---it's not. I take quite a lot of magnesium (mag. glycinate and mag. malate) throughout the day. The magnesium does not eliminate the symptoms I've identified as low potassium (see below

My body-signals for more potassium are some of the common ones people mention: cramps in lower calves.... pain/spasm in lower back..... tightening in the back of the neck.... headache----all relieved within 20-30 minutes of taking Potassium. I do eat foods with Potassium (bananas, some coconut), but the foods cannot keep up with my body's demand, so I take the supplement too.

Occasionally, I have loose stool with all this potassium, but no IBS. I have not taken the Potassium pills as I had read that they are rough on the stomach, and I could see from all my reading that the pills just wouldn't cut it in terms of getting enough into my body while doing the Methylation Protocol.

Also, I did not start out with 2 grams etc. .... I built up to it, as I did with all the Deadlock Quartet .... and I logged everything: every dose; time of day; symptoms; symptom-relief. I think the go low; go slow has merit.

Cheers,
Silverseas2014

Thanks for the great info Silverseas2014. I will definitely see if I can build up a bowel tolerance slowly and see if that helps. After seeing your symptoms, I might agree that Potassium has always been an un-addressed issue for me. I've been very diligent about magnesium but potassium has a fear around it I think. Even before I started this protocol I had/have a lot of muscle twitching and cramping. My neck is a mess. That no amount of magnesium can seam to quench. I'm interested in seeing how this goes. If I can't tolerate the supplement, I may have to stop the protocol and try a gut repair protocol of some kind. Dr Rostenberg (youtube's Beyond MTHFR) has one I've been thinking of trying. It's 10 days and a ton of L-Glutamine during that period.