Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Potassium and Autoimmune Disease

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Emootje, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Potassium and Autoimmune Disease:

Hanna, Enid and justy like this.
  2. adreno

adreno PR activist

I do find it likely that potassium is a big factor in the health effects of vegetarian diets. I never knew potassium actually boosts cortisol though, that's interesting.

3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    That's very interesting Emootje - a strange symptom happened to me early on and which baffled my Docs - high potassium levels being passed out in the urine (neon orange at one stage and no supps or diet change to explain). There has to be some pathological mechanism going on here like what is restricting potassium absorption. I have and recognised reactive osteoarthritis/porosis - all as suggested by my Neurologist of viral origin.

Back to the compromised immune system again and again. What/where the switch.

4. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    I would guess that in a healthy person, a high dosage or a high potassium meal might stimulate the adrenals to produce cortisol or aldosterone to flush the excess. ( I wish potassium would increase cortisol for me, but it hasn't.)

It's been great for pain and inflammation, though.

5. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi Enid;
    You are probably aware of this, but high cortisol wastes potassium. But potassium wasting may also be the result of kidney dysfunction. I hope you find and cure the origin.

6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Hi Crux - though urine export improves I have absolutely no doubt that a chronic infection was never found and indeed kidney and liver much involved. My brother (ok genetic predisposition) has equally found collapse of the immune system to the extent of latent viruses expressing worse than my own now autoimmune - what overcomes and switches to must be our way forward.

See more popular forum discussions.