• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Postural orthostatic tachycardia is not a useful diagnostic marker for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
In addition to all of the problems mentioned in this thread about this study (a study which says more about the researchers & peer review for the journal than anything about POTS and ME/CFS or SEID), most OI & ME/CFS studies have a difficult time seeing a problem I've noticed in myself and seen others: PEM POTS. If I'm staying reasonably within my energy envelope (and if I'm keeping up with my 3+ liters of fluid intake), my heart rate will stay within normal (albeit high normal) range with standing. A day or two after I've been over-exerting, my heart rate will go from 75-80 supine to 110-120 standing. Which makes it damn tricky to catch for a clinician. Or helpfully tricky to catch for a quack who doesn't want to find it. Hence the reason Peter Rowe has been recommending clinicians focus on symptoms when standing rather than simply going off physiological measurements.

TigerLilea

Hi @TigerLilea personally I had to get out of country to get diagnosed with POTS. The local physicians do not do more than a reclining BP and HR and another set of vitals when standing. This is definitely not the standard to diagnose POTS.
I don't have any symptoms at all so I'm quite confident that I don't have it. But I understand what you mean about getting testing done in this country. I was in at my doctors last week and she couldn't order any of the testing I wanted done as it's not done here. :bang-head:

alex3619

PEM POTS.
I get PEM OI, as I don't have POTS. Instead of tachycardia I get bradycardia. I get hypotension that overwhelms my regular high blood pressure when I overdo things. That is when I am more likely to pass out. This study would have failed to detect my OI, completely, whereas a tilt table test caused enough bradycardia for my heart to stop.

daisybell

I get tachycardia occasionally when I've overdone things. I also get missed beats and the feeling of a pounding heartbeat that makes you catch your breath. These only seem to happen when I'm feeling worse than usual, either in a relapse or PEM. So I don't qualify for POTS but I'm not asymptomatic either.....