Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

post nasal drip.

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Fuzzyhead, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

I get post nasal drip a lot and feel like i have to swallow a lot especially at night because it feels like mucous in the back of my throat. I bring quite a bit up during the day.I also for the last 2 years can hear a crackling noise sometimes when i inhale in bed at night. Anyone else have this and what helps for post nasal drip?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

What colour has the drip?

3. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

Sometimes it's clear and sometimes slightly green.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    get a nasal test for Staph. Aussie research has shown that many people with ME carry a staph nasally which is a toxin producing form. This causes post nasal drip

5. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

I am in uk so how do i test for staph?

6. paul80

paul80 Senior Member

I have this too. The best way to deal with it is to try not to swallow as much as you can and just try to ignore it.

7. paul80

paul80 Senior Member

also drink plenty of water. dehydration makes the mucous thicker.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I guess that would be a trip to your GP.

I had similar problems a few years ago (though mine tended to be clear) and my GP insisted I try Sudafed - being a trusting soul (when will I learn) I did. I nearly went mad with the constant tired but wired and no sleep. She insisted I keep on it even though it didn't seem to be solving the problem and I was climbing the walls. I had a major crash.

I was in an awful state when I next saw my consultant. He immediately pointed out that epinephrine & pseudo-epinephrine act a bit like adrenaline - so unsurprisingly my body just couldn't cope.

As I am an allergic creature, he decided that, in my case, my allergies were not sufficiently controlled and suggested I tried using Flixonase (fluticasone) in addition to my one a day allergy pill. Worked a treat.

Of course, your issues may be down to something else entirely but I hope this helps.

9. Webdog

Webdog Up to 91% remain undiagnosed

California
    Two things cleared up my sinuses roughly 70%, enough for me to be able to sleep without being wakened by drainage. For the first time in 15 years, I can now breathe through both nostrils, and can breathe while sleeping on either side.

1. Valtrex (currently 3g/day).
    2. Nasal wash within 1 hour of bedtime (I use NeilMed). Timing is important.

My drip is/was either clear, white, or yellow (in increasing severity). The color hasn't changed, just the quantity.

It's possible low-dose Naltrexone 9mg may have contributed, as I started it roughly the same time as Valtrex.

I do hope you find something that works for you. Being able to sleep without sinus interruption was a dramatic improvement in quality of life for me.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Clear is good, green is not. As others said try to get tested for bacteria.

11. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Hi @Fuzzyhead,

I understand post nasal drip and sinus issues are also key symptoms of MCAS...may be worth considering your other symptoms in the context of that.

Ryan

12. BlissC

BlissC

I've had post-nasal drip on and off for a number of years, though it's never really been a serious problem for me - more of an irritation, though first thing in a morning when I first get up it does cause me to cough for a short time.

In my late teens I had allergy tests done, as I had mild asthma and allergic perennial rhinitis (i.e. year-round hay-fever symptoms). The tests showed that as well as being allergic to grass pollen, I'm also allergic to various tree pollens, animal dander and fur, house dust, and house dust mites. Over the years I've 'grown out of' the asthma and I'm not so sensitive to the things I'm allergic to.

Over the past year though I've been having a lot of earache in one year, and my hearing's down in that ear (I have some hearing loss in both ears already, but in that ear it's noticeably down). When my GP checked my ears she said she could see there was fluid behind my eardrum in my middle ear. It's because my Eustachian tubes (the narrow passage leading from the middle ear to the back of the throat, permitting equalisation of pressure on each side of the eardrum) are either blocked/narrow, meaning the fluid can't drain away and the pressure on both sides of the eardrum isn't equal, causing the earache.

Along with the earache I've started to suffer from post-nasal drip again. I've tried various devices that are supposed to help open the Eustachian tubes, allowing the fluid to drain away and equalising the pressure (not that they're particularly effective, giving only very short-term relief from the earache), and they're no more effective than the Valsalva manoeuvre. My GP has though prescribed me a low dose of antihistamine tablets and a low dose steroid nasal spray. They seem to have helped a little with the earache, but what they really have helped with is post-nasal drip, which I've developed again.

Over the counter medications for coughs and colds can help with post-nasal drip in the short-term as the epinephrine and pseudo-epinephrine will help to 'dry up' post-nasal drip, but as @Invisible Woman said, they can cause problems as they act like adrenaline, which can cause problems particularly if you also suffer from POTS. @Fuzzyhead - The combination of antihistamine and steroid has really helped me with the post-nasal drip. It might be worth investigating getting allergy tested. Your GP should be able to refer you to an allergy testing clinic. The actual test is fairly simple. It can be a bit uncomfortable if you react to any of the allergens, but it's otherwise fairly painless.

13. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    A trip to the dr. They use like a long cottonbud thing on a stick and its used to swap inside of nose and then sent to a lab. Unfortunately though all the labs can deal with testing nasal swab, they cant tell you though if the staph if found is a toxin producing one or not (I think that's only really done in research places). but anyway if staph is found you can then get it treated.

The lab at same time seeing it was found, tested my staph against different antibotics so I also knew which ones it was resistant to so we knew what not to use and what to use to treat. It was in my case resistant to about 7 out of the 9 antibotics it got tested against. (I dont know if that is the standard thing for a lab to do or not if staph is found). I managed then to choose to same drug to also treat a strep B infection at same time.

14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois Prairie ❀❤✿Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿❤❀

Midwest, USA
    If the infection is way up in your sinuses, the swab will not reach it. So if you get a positive result, you have an infection; but if you get a negative result, it is inconclusive.

15. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Yep

See more popular forum discussions.