The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Post-Infectious Ebola

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by mfairma, May 15, 2015.

1. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

NPR posted an article today about post-infectious Ebola. It was a bit light on details of patients' symptoms, but I think some will find it interesting:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...of-job-ebola-survivors-who-continue-to-suffer

I posted a comment and in the process of doing so came across an interesting description of symptoms from a WHO psychosocial support officer seeing patients, posted in an article on the WHO website: Patients "complain of 'body aches' such as joint, muscle and chest paint . . . headaches and extreme fatigue, making it difficult to take up their former lives -- especially if it involved manual work -- as farmers, labourers and housewives." The quote is from an article posted last October, so I may be treading already posted ground. I may reach out to the author on facebook to ask whether he also has seen an emphasis on exercise problems in post-infectious patients.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Clearly these post ebola patients need to get some exercise and CBT for their false illness beliefs.

Kidding aside, I hope some real research is done on these patients. It would be very interesting to see what their cytokine levels look like compared to ME patients. There was also this recent article about a doctor that survived his infection and was supposedly cured, only to find that he had persistent ebola infection continuing in his eye.

leokitten, Valentijn and *GG* like this.
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

moreover there should be a comparative study between post ebola patients and patients with ME. Cytokines would be a good measure.

*GG* and halcyon like this.
  4. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

It kills me how ready the medical community and society at large are to pull out the psychogenic explanation. I feel like it's a hydra, popping out of nothing with new heads everytime you lop one off.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  5. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Thanks for posting this here on PR and for posting your comment on NPR. Here's hoping you get a response.
    I have read a few articles about post-infectious Ebola but do not remember seeing mention of incidence of post-infectious symptoms.

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Valentijn and halcyon like this.
  7. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
  8. Jammy88

Jammy88 Senior Member

Italy
    Post-Ebola? Just of matter of mental insanity.

LOL.

(Actually, that's very good news for us all… Let the researchers work hard and something will change in a near future)

halcyon likes this.
  9. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

@halcyon Thanks for posting the interesting New York Times article!

There's a New England Journal of Medicine case report describing this doctor's eye infection & other post-viral symptoms (he's one of the co-authors):

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1500306#t=article

Interestingly he had cognitive difficulties, low back pain, exercise intolerance, etc. "Ambulation was limited to short distances because of exertional fatigue."

Agree with you-- would be interesting to follow his cytokine & other biochemical indicators as his symptoms changed and especially when they improved.

Report calls for further studies of presence of virus in other 'immune-privileged sites" [other than the eye] e.g. in the central nervous system, gonads, and articular cartilage. This is a good recommendation.

alex3619, Bob and halcyon like this.
  10. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

That's highly interesting, thanks for the link.

Bob likes this.
  11. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Bob, Effi and Hutan like this.
  12. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    What is very interesting is doctors have been finding most cases of post-ebola syndrome (other than still finding virus in immune-privileged areas like the eye and testes) to be some kind of autoimmune disorder:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/04/us-health-ebola-survivors-idUSKBN0L81WA20150204
    https://publichealthwatch.wordpress...la-syndrome-plagues-survivors-in-west-africa/

Hutan, Kati and Bob like this.
  13. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Post-Ebola syndrome needs to be examined side by side with ME.

Bob and leokitten like this.

See more popular forum discussions.