Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Post in /r/medicine

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by debored13, Nov 3, 2017.

1. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
  2. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    I looks like they'll delete it, and for good reason.

@SB_1108 The links you posted are so informative regarding the experience that we with ME/CFS have with medical professionals.

For our sake, and theirs, I'm looking forward to such cynicism being nothing more than a thing of the past. ;)

4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

That reddit emphases my general impression that many in the medical profession knows jack all about what was not in their textbooks. The harassment and disbelief of patients there is pretty shocking, guess the anonymity shows what some of them really think but don`t say. It`s certainly consistent with the treatment i have been getting as soon as "ME" is mentioned. Honestly, fuck`em

5. perovyscus

perovyscus

It is a massively heterogeneous patient population with no known etiology or cure. Your next patient is in 8 minutes.

The examples you mentioned? These doctors do not just dislike CFS patients, they don't like any patients.

brooke and jstash like this.
  6. Marky90

That doesn`t justify how they handle and think about us at all.

brooke likes this.
  7. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

I'm kind of hoping that /r/medicine is not representative of doctors in general, who I know can be shitty, but maybe not that shitty?

8. Marky90

Let`s be honest, albeit many exceptions, most people with a life dont hang out at reddit shittalking others.

mrquasar and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  9. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

you could have ended that sentence at reddit lmao. most people with a life dont hang out on reddit... period

mrquasar and Marky90 like this.
  10. Marky90

I was about to, but then I remembered that some friends and myself do

Well, i guess that confirms it then:cool:

11. Marky90

"albeit many exceptions" :rolleyes::ninja:

12. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Unfortunately i think it is. I think because theres no diagnostic test or treatment for cfsme they dont know what to really do. I think because depression doesnt have a diagnostic test either they lump many of these patients together and they can treat with antidepressants, if it works is another thing.

Many drs will say theres nothing abnormal on tests but they dont test much any way, a full blood count sounds thorough but??? Even when theres something abnormal on it many drs ignore it or dismiss it as irrelevant.

At the end of the day drs follow guidelines thats backed by research, they dont really make alot of their own decisions, so are basically told what to do. Issue i think is research and for drs to be taught the current research eg nk dysfunction and cytokines studies etc etc. Most have never heard of them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.