1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Post-Exertional Malaise: Power to the People

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Ember, May 24, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

24 May, 2012

http://www.research1st.com/2012/05/24/pem-power-to-the-people/

By Jennifer M. Spotila, J.D.

It is not necessary to understand [PEM] before we respect it [1].”

ahimsa likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I think this is an excellent article. I have read the opinion, I think from respected ME/CFS researchers, that we will not get better until we stop the PEM crashes.

However, I have a problem with “Patients limit their energy expenditure to the energy they have available” because, as she previously said, “activity limits do not have clear unchanging boundaries”. When I am overdrawing the energy account (or spending the energy capital, an analogy that I like better), it ‘spends’ just like any other energy. I sometimes don’t know that I have done too much until after I have done it and the post-exertional exhaustion hits (I dislike the word ‘malaise’, but my preference has an unfortunate acronym). I suppose that is the reason for the “pre-emptive rests according to a planned schedule”. {Translation: Little Bluestem has not been doing a good job of pacing.}

The idea of dividing activities into four areas is a new one to me. I am not sure what she means by physical sensitivities. Bottom line, I think that ATP is ATP. When you spend it on one thing, it is not available for another.

Aside from this pickiness, I think there is a lot of good stuff here.

ETA: I am following with interest the people who are using heart rate monitors to regulate their activity level. I think this may be a good way to prevent PEM.

See more popular forum discussions.