1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Post-Exertional Malaise: Power to the People

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Ember, May 24, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

24 May, 2012

http://www.research1st.com/2012/05/24/pem-power-to-the-people/

By Jennifer M. Spotila, J.D.

It is not necessary to understand [PEM] before we respect it [1].”

ahimsa likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I think this is an excellent article. I have read the opinion, I think from respected ME/CFS researchers, that we will not get better until we stop the PEM crashes.

However, I have a problem with “Patients limit their energy expenditure to the energy they have available” because, as she previously said, “activity limits do not have clear unchanging boundaries”. When I am overdrawing the energy account (or spending the energy capital, an analogy that I like better), it ‘spends’ just like any other energy. I sometimes don’t know that I have done too much until after I have done it and the post-exertional exhaustion hits (I dislike the word ‘malaise’, but my preference has an unfortunate acronym). I suppose that is the reason for the “pre-emptive rests according to a planned schedule”. {Translation: Little Bluestem has not been doing a good job of pacing.}

The idea of dividing activities into four areas is a new one to me. I am not sure what she means by physical sensitivities. Bottom line, I think that ATP is ATP. When you spend it on one thing, it is not available for another.

Aside from this pickiness, I think there is a lot of good stuff here.

ETA: I am following with interest the people who are using heart rate monitors to regulate their activity level. I think this may be a good way to prevent PEM.

See more popular forum discussions.