1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Possible to test for phenol sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by chilove, Mar 15, 2012.

1. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Hello all,

I've been struggling a lot with food sensitivities and intolerances and am suspecting that I may be sensitive to a whole group of foods. The first thing I'm suspecting is phenols because I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test for phenol sensitivity?

Thanks so much!

Audrey
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Only a challenge test will be effective at testing for sensitivities. Phenol can be purchases as disinfectant. Have someone buy some for you and dilute a small amount in a large quantity of water, then take a small sample. Do NOT swallow it but apply it to a thin area of skin such as inside the risk. That should do it - HOWEVER this is a very risky thing to do. You have no way of knowing how you may react. I do not advise it.

Once mechanisms are understood though we can use those. Phenol is chemically very similar to salicylates. If you are salicylate sensitive you are likely to be phenol sensitive. Testing for salicylate sensitivity can be done through elimination diets and food provocations.

Yet salicylate sensitivity is closely tied to glutathione depletion. If you have oxidative stress and low glutathione levels you are at high risk for salicylate sensitivity, which puts you at high risk for phenol sensitivity. One simple way to test for oxidative stress is to measure your serum vitamin E levels. Its a substitute, for a substitute, for a substitute for testing for phenol sensitivity, so its accuracy may not be great, but its an important thing to know. MOST of us are vitamin E deficient I think, unless we supplement. Its worth knowing if you are one of those deficient in vitamin E.

Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.