1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Possible symptoms of not converting correctly folic acid to active folate

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by rachel, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rachel

rachel

What are the possible symptoms of not converting folic acid to active folate?

What are others vitamins and minerals that this converting is a part of their process inside the body?

2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Rachel.

To convert folic acid to methylfolate, four sequential reactions are required. The first two require NADPH, which is based on vitamin B3, and it requires some additional metabolism to form NADPH, including burning of glucose via the pentose phosphate shunt on the glycolysis chain. Magnesium is also needed. These two reactions convert folic acid to tetrahydrofolate (THF).

Next, a reaction is needed to convert THF to methylene THF, and that is usually done using serine via the SHMT reaction. Then methylene THF must be converted to methylfolate via the MTHFR reaction, which requires vitamin B2 and NADPH.

I don't favor using folic acid to treat ME/CFS, because some people have genetic issues that slow these various reactions, and NADPH is found to be low in many PWMEs. It's preferable to use methylfolate, which avoids this reaction pathway.

Best regards,

Rich

alice and rachel like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There was a paper on this not long ago, possible symptoms include failed NK cell function, cancer and dementia. So far this is only association, no causal mechanisms have been proved. However, in that study (does anyone recall the name?) nearly four out of five post menopausal women cannot properly convert folic acid. As we get older it becomes more and more of a problem. This is not a minority of the population, its a majority of older people and an unknown percentage of younger people. Bye, Alex

alice likes this.
  4. rachel

rachel

Hi Rich,

In my second question I meant- Are there another process that involve this converting as for example, other vitamins that their process in the body connect to converting folic to folinic acid.

I had negative symptoms after I tried the methyl mate B. Is there a similiar chance to have the same responses when taking the follate? Does the pottasium also decrease after taking follate?

5. Vegas

Vegas Senior Member

Virginia

6. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

Hi all.I have a b12 supplement that contains calcium folinate.Similar to Rachel's experience, whenever I try it it makes me very depressed even to point of being suicidal. Effect lasts at least 24 hours.Divided tablet I take contains approximately 200 mcg calcium folinate and 500 mcg hydroxycobalamin.I do not have this problem with 5 MTHF. I do not have any problems when I take hydroxycobalamin eitherJust wished to ask if there any explanation to this?.(Note:I do not know much about methylation pathways and i am not on methylation supplements.) Thanks.

See more popular forum discussions.