May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Possible sulphite issues

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by optimist, Jun 15, 2015.

1. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Hi!

As I am getting anxiety from taking Thiamine, Riboflavin, Molybdenum and L-Taurine I've been led to believe that I have issues with sulphites. I have also noticed that I am getting headache from eating garlic which I've read is also a common issue with sulphites, and garlic being a sulphite containing food.

Since I went a bit hard on with the molybdenum (tried two days with 400mcg and was totally out, then later one day with 100mcg and had some issues), I am now going to try a much smaller dose and hopefully build up tolerance.

I was wondering if any of you have any other suggestions on how to manage sulphite issues? I've read that cutting out sulphite food is not good for you either.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I have now also purchased Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone who knows if this could be better tolerated?

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Moly supports the SUOX SNP which detoxifies sulfur. It sounds like you're taking too much moly causing more sulfur to detox than you can handle. Yasko also reports high doses of molydenum possibly causing copper dumping and that can also cause symptoms.

Yasko suggests 75mcg and that worked for me. Cutler suggests the free thiol diet, vs a low sulfur diet. That also worked for me.

In general, you may have CBS issues and/or mercury issues. You can try one of the CBS protocols and/or consider hair testing for mercury and the Cutler mercury chelation protocol.

If you do a CBS protocol and limit free thiol foods, it's only temporary (like a few months), so it shouldn't cause any harm. When it's completed you would continue to take a small amount of moly for support so you don't revert back to how you were.

optimist likes this.
  4. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    That's a very nice answer @caledonia! My diet is already extremely limited, so I will see what I can do with it.

Could you explain to me the difference between sulphur and thiol? I have been looking at this:
    http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

Veggies are an important part of my diet for kcal, fiber, potassium and carbs, as I cannot handle grains, nuts or legumes, and very little fruit.

I have measured mercury in serum and it was about 22nmol/L, so there's a problem there for sure.

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    That's the correct free thiol food list to follow.

Cutler is saying that thiol is a component of sulfur and that's the component that stirs up mercury and causes symptoms. Some sulfur foods may have more or less thiols than others. So it's most efficient to target the high thiol foods.

http://resqua.com/100001600189727/what-are-sulfur-thiols

optimist likes this.
  6. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    So, foods not listed should be OK? Like celery root?

7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    optimist likes this.
  8. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Thanks @ahmo! Will try to have a look at it. There was a fair amount of information in there :)

ahmo likes this.
  9. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Ok @optimist here's what I took away from that site.:) Also, closer to home, another forum here on pr:

optimist likes this.
  10. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Thanks! I've learned a lot. So besides Molybdenum - P5P, Choline, Benfothiamine and B12 should be helpful?

Did you guys only eat food from the low section of the list, or did you just avoid the food on the high section? There are very few items on the low list that I can eat, and many of the ones that I can eat are in the high... sigh. I have severe SIBO and leaky gut, and many intolerances, so it is already veeery very difficult.

Foods like apples and celery root, what to think of those?

See more popular forum discussions.