• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible solution to the acid mb12 issue

Adster

Like many here my teeth have suffered from the acid in the sublingual b12 tablets, the worst offender being the Jarrow 5mg. In looking for an alternative I found this one http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Methylcobalamin-60-Veggie-Caps/18440?at=0 which is a mb12 capsule - powdered mb12 crystal and a pretty common filler. You can, at a stretch, use it as a sublingual by carefully emptying the contents under your tongue, but it's not very effective and goes everywhere if you aren't careful. It is a "just" workable solution though if the other brands are intolerable because of the extra ingredients. Try not to expose the powder to light for very long as it damages the mb12.

The interesting thing with these capsules is that the filler is also a binder, so if you compress the contents of the capsule they will form a hard tablet that works really well as a sublingual. A compounding pharmacy might have a pill machine and be willing to make them into tablets for you, I'm not sure if any do that though.

I made a makeshift "tablet forming device ;-)(I'm pretty sure it's illegal to own or import a proper pill machine)" Macgyver style with some different sized nuts and bolts which works well but will be really hard to make unless you have some workshop tools and basic engineering abilities. What I'm hoping is that others might be able to find some common US hardware store items that will do the same job off the shelf. It should be pretty simple, you can just hit the powder with a hammer and it makes small pieces of tablet, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something make this possible for others who want to experiment. Maybe it won't be that easy, I'm not sure. All that's needed is a steel tube the diameter of the tablet and a "piston" that fits neatly inside that tube that will squash the powder, a hard steel surface to hit it on and a hammer. I use a bench vise which is probably better than a hammer but not many people will have access to one. A picture of the end result is below.

pp4sm.jpg