• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible D-Ribose + Low Carb/Keto Risk

GhostGum

I just wanted to make people aware of this horror story which appears potentially linked to over use of D-ribose combined with a low carb diet, just know some here use d-ribose as well as many who focus on low carb/keto style diets so there is likely some overlap at some stage.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/55279-please-help-me-get-diagnosed-been-to-4-mds/

As the thread starter mentions in his third posting there d-ribose can cause hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinemia due to its ability to reduce glucose, so obviously when someone is on a low carb/keto diet with already reduce glucose levels, throwing in some d-ribose appears to potentially be a bad idea.

I may not have posted this since it seems isolated but further on in that discussion there is mention of another person with a very similar experience at post #6 who developed kidney problems and was in prolonged ketosis.

After reading this personally I would be very careful or simply keep away from d-ribose if on a very low carb diet or in ketosis.

I just wanted to make people aware of this horror story which appears potentially linked to over use of D-ribose combined with a low carb diet, just know some here use d-ribose as well as many who focus on low carb/keto style diets so there is likely some overlap at some stage.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/55279-please-help-me-get-diagnosed-been-to-4-mds/

As the thread starter mentions in his third posting there d-ribose can cause hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinemia due to its ability to reduce glucose, so obviously when someone is on a low carb/keto diet with already reduce glucose levels, throwing in some d-ribose appears to potentially be a bad idea.

I may not have posted this since it seems isolated but further on in that discussion there is mention of another person with a very similar experience at post #6 who developed kidney problems and was in prolonged ketosis.

After reading this personally I would be very careful or simply keep away from d-ribose if on a very low carb diet or in ketosis.

Hi, new but curious how you know if you are in ketosis? I have urinary diabetes tests strips. Do they show? Doing Ribose and low carb, gad65 antibodies and difficulty keeping weight on.

GhostGum

Hi, new but curious how you know if you are in ketosis? I have urinary diabetes tests strips. Do they show? Doing Ribose and low carb, gad65 antibodies and difficulty keeping weight on.

I know you can get ketone strips which will show whether you are in ketosis or not, no idea about the diabetes test strips. If you are in ketosis you will also likely have bad breath from the ketone excretion from your breath.

How long have you been doing them both? The risk is probably minimal if you are not over using the d-ribose and do not show any of the obvious symptoms, I just wanted to caution everyone; d-ribose must be a fairly widely used supplement.