Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Possible biomarker for IBS-D

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, May 20, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v533/n7603_supp/full/533S110a.html?WT.mc_id=TWT_OUTLOOK_IBS

Posting this not only because many have co-morbid IBS, but because this is an interesting discussion of the chicken/egg problem with biomarkers, definitions and subgroups.
    I think a very relevant discussion as regards ME & CFS

Excerpt:
    you can read the rest here:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v533/n7603_supp/full/533S110a.html?WT.mc_id=TWT_OUTLOOK_IBS

aimossy, Scarecrow and Hutan like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Kina solidarity

New Zealand
    @Jonathan Edwards, you might be interested regarding links between infection and auto-immunity.

Kyla likes this.
  3. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Isn't it still the case ?
    A psychological diagnosis in IBS is as equally daft as ME.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

This seems to be something of a throwaway remark from Dr Tack, and it seems he is not convinced in this case!

'Pimentel's hypothesis that an antibody generated by a bacterial toxin has autoimmune properties is sound, and well-supported by animal studies, Tack says. But he is not yet convinced that this antibody causes IBS, saying that there is no independent evidence that the participants in Pimentel's 2015 study really did have post-infectious IBS. '

The idea of cross reactivity is ingrained in the folklore. You can create cross reactivity in animals by giving vast doses of adjuvants, but you usually get a subacute monophasic post challenge illness, not like human autoimmunity. The only disease that looks reasonably like cross reactivity in humans is Guillain Barre and even that is monophasic as a rule. I am not terribly impressed by an antibody that binds to vinculin. Vinculin is one of those proteins that tends to pick up antibodies like static electricity picks up dust. I will wait and see!

aimossy and Hutan like this.

See more popular forum discussions.