• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible benefits of a ketogenic diet

Has anyone tried a ketogenic diet? and if so what were the results. I read an interesting article regarding mitochondrial function, herpes viruses, and ketogenic diet. Apparently a ketogenic diet is helpful in shedding viral dna from our genome and thus reducing expression of viral proteins.

This seems like if Herpes virus was to be related to CFS than this could be effective in reducing symptoms.

Here is a link to the article in reference http://www.health-matrix.net/2013/0...-enhancing-ketogenic-diet-and-cometary-kicks/

WoolPippi

Hi, I'm on a keto-diet. I'm always in mild ketosis, but nothing dramatic like diabetic ketosis. It's called Homo Optimum.

I have not noticed anything dna-related. The main advantage is that my body no longer gets its energy from carbohydrates and it doesn't have to ride the bloodsugar and insulin spikes anymore. This brings peace and quiet to the system. Room for health.

My bloodsugar levels are totally level. Brain chemistry is better. Symptoms I experience can be linked more easily to daily causes. I am never hungry. I eat cream and chicken leg and dark chocolate. Always little bits. I loose less energy to digestion than before.

There's a vet in the UK who tries to find out why ketogenic works. He scrutinies a lot of science reports to find out what it does to cellprocesses. A lot of research is done wrong! It's called Hyperlipid, www.high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com

anne_likes_red

Has anyone tried a ketogenic diet? and if so what were the results. I read an interesting article regarding mitochondrial function, herpes viruses, and ketogenic diet. Apparently a ketogenic diet is helpful in shedding viral dna from our genome and thus reducing expression of viral proteins.

This seems like if Herpes virus was to be related to CFS than this could be effective in reducing symptoms.

Here is a link to the article in reference http://www.health-matrix.net/2013/0...-enhancing-ketogenic-diet-and-cometary-kicks/

Hi, yes I have. I've been using a ketogenic diet since early last year. I've established it works for me, at least for now - just going on how I feel and the negative impact eating more carbohydrates has on my aerobic capacity, and night time blood sugar levels for example.
I also know others do feel better burning more fuel through other pathways....so I'm not meaning to imply it would suit everyone. :)

I've been following Peter (Hyperlipid) a long time. His protons series is fascinating!! I've noticed a few people with CFS posting on Peter's blog (and on a few other related ones) that they do well on a ketotic diet too.

Thanks for the Health Matrix link - interesting!

Anne.