1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Positive antinuclear antibody (ANA )result?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Nielk, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    My latest blood work came back with a positive ana. I was wondering if anyone else had the same? I have an appointment with a rheumatologist to look into Lupus.
    I had this test done a year and a half ago when it came back negative.
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Sorry to hear that.

I expect my ANA or RF to come back positive one day, because of autoimmune problems in my family history :( Do you have any?

I wonder if this is another instance where I'll be ignored for being subclinical, because docs are going only by the bloodwork ranges, not knowing better.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    My mother had Lupus.

There are many overlapping symptoms of ME/cfs and Lupus. I don't have the hallmark rash as my mother did, but i was told that not all Lupus patients have that.

I have been suffering for the past year and a half with swelling all over my body. This has been ignored by my GP. I have gained over 20 lbs while I am dieting. My hands and fingers are so swollen and painful that it's hard for me to grip anything. I have ulcers in my nose. I was told recently by an endocrinologist that these are all symptoms of Lupus, especially with my positive ana result. Hence his referral to a rheumatologist.

To be fair, I was tested for ana (I guess because of my family history) 1 1/2 years ago and it was negative at the time.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    It is quite possible. Or it could just be ME. ;)

What was interesting was the somewhat recent NIH (elderly) cancer patient study (of over a million patients) also showed that a diagnosis of CFS/ME was a risk factor for a later diagnosis of RA or Lupus.
    Nielk likes this.
  5. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I hope it's a good rheumy so you get proper care.

ANA is one of those tests with defined ranges, so I believe the ranges might not fit everyone. Like with thyroid tests, they are realizing that many people with thyroid disease are being missed by the ranges that most labs use. But that is the system we have.
    Nielk likes this.
  6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  7. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I have had a consistently raised ANA for at least five years. Do you know what pattern of staining your result showed? My rheumatologist gave me a tentative diagnosis of limited scleroderma based on my results but I really have no symptoms of that... I think it is related to the ME, and I doubt that I actually have any type of scleroderma at all.
  8. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Mine is speckled pattern.
  9. Kati

Kati Patient in training

i have a high titer ANA, I've had that since my teens. It has been speckled pattern till last year where it turned homogenous-how's that for weird?) Lupus tests (double stranded DNA) is negative. No other features of rheum illness other than a high ESR. (38, normal 0-20)

I am sorry to hear, but definitely a rheumy is the best to find out if you have or not. Best wishes. Keep us posted
    Nielk likes this.
  10. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    @Nielk
    I am sorry you are experimenting worsening of symptoms. I have ANA + and also others (AntiSCL, etc...). No doc could comment on that. Since I was given a CFS label, it doesn't interest anyone. There is clearly an anti body activity but the levels don't point to anything clear (scleroderma, lupus, etc).
    I hope though that the Rheumi you're going to see will be helpful. And there won't be any lupus on the top of all the issues!
    Tito, Kati and Nielk like this.
  11. Goimurph

Goimurph

plymouth, ma
    My ANA is high, 1280, diffused. This is the highest it has been. Though for the past 2.5 yrs it has hovered 640, 320, now 1280. Tests for lupus, ra, sjorgens all neg. Oddly, when my symptoms flare, the ANA goes up. They tell me it's a phenomenon that makes more work for the Rheumatologists. I don't believe it. There has to be a connection
    Hanna and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.