• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POPULAR SCIENCE: Here’s What It’s Like To Live With Tickborne Illnesses

Antares in NYC

New article in Popular Science magazine about living with Lyme and Babesiosis:
Here’s What It’s Like To Live With Tickborne Illnesses
A woman diagnosed with Lyme disease and babesiosis talks about navigating treatments and more

A couple of weeks ago, I published a post at Our Modern Plagues explaining how people can tell if they have a tickborne illness. Not too surprisingly, it turns out that it’s quite difficult.

Not long after, I got an email from a woman I know through a mutual friend. I’ll refer to her as Ashley (I’m using her middle name at her request). Ashley had come across my post while doing some research on her own tickborne illnesses, which include Lyme disease and babesiosis.

After some back and forth, I asked Ashley if she’d be willing to do a Q&A to help readers understand what it’s like to have tickborne illnesses, as well as some of the uncertainties when symptoms linger.

Ashley suspects she has chronic Lyme, a condition about which there is some controversy among doctors and scientists. If you have a tickborne illness or suspect you may have chronic Lyme, keep in mind that what has worked for Ashley may not work for you, so consult a physician if you have questions about diagnosis and treatment.

Here is our email conversation, edited for clarity and length:

http://www.popsci.com/heres-what-its-like-to-live-with-tickborne-illnesses