• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poor man's GcMAF?

baccarat

I've been reading a lot about GcMAF recently and very intrigued by the GcMAF yoghurt version being developed by Prof Ruggiero, which is not available yet. Whilst I was reading about this I came across an article that looked at research into yogurt's immune enhancing properties.
They found that particular probiotics strains added to yogurt can modulate the immune system and raise CD4 subsets in HIV/AIDS patients ,over and above the effect produced by ARVs. The strains they supplemented to the yogurts were Bifidobacterium bifidum with Streptococcus thermophilus (250 billion?) in one study and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and L. reuteri RC-14 in another.
As CD4 are also low in CFS, I wondered whether this a viable way to get some of the benefits of GcMAF? I guess trying won't cause any harm.
But a more general question is what alternatives/substitutes to GcMAF are out there for anybody who doesn't have access to it?

http://www.marcoruggiero.org/pdf/Irvine et al..pdf

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Baccarat isn't this what the inventors of MAF 314 have done - yoghurt/kefir/colostrum etc. etc. of course its a closely guarded secret but no harm in anyone trying to make their own? See on another thread Dr Enlander is working with another company to make a cheaper version MAF 878. If anyone he will make it available to us as soon as he can without wanting to make vast profits.

baccarat

Many thanks Maryb, I wasn't aware of another cheaper version in the making. Do you know the timescale for this one?
I'm sure they must take normal probiotic cultures and then something is done or added to them. I wish I knew and make my own...

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well if you've got some kefir and colostrum, add some more probiotics, keep it warm and.......... you never know, I think I'll have a go:)

Breakspear hospital, here in the UK, advocates the use of probiotics to help modulate the immune system. Here is what they say:

"Breakspear also now has available a bacterial product, known to help modulate the immune system. This bacterial product is a high potency probiotic preparation that can induce a Th2 response. Lactobacillus, Escherichia coli, Bifidobacteria and others have a local effect protecting against gut mucosal injury through both Th1 and Th2 responses."

More info here:

http://www.breakspearmedical.com/files/documents/ChronicFatigueweb.pdf

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Many thanks Maryb, I wasn't aware of another cheaper version in the making. Do you know the timescale for this one?
I'm sure they must take normal probiotic cultures and then something is done or added to them. I wish I knew and make my own...

Hi, I don't believe it is possible to "make your own." It took Ruggiero and his lab partners 314 tries to make it and, I think, 6 months. You need a "starter" supplied by them, I believe, though Dr. Enlander has resources developing it independently.

But it is true that very good probiotics should benefit the immune system.

You could also consider injected GcMAF which is more widely available--especially since you are in Europe.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I know really Sushi - I was being a little tongue in cheek, if only it was that easy!! but the basic ingredients can't hurt so I'll just chuck em all in and see, if it cures me you can have the first lot free:)

anne_likes_red

If you have a recipe that calls for single probiotic strains in a stepped process and you have excellent measuring/testing equipment, and a good understanding of how to prevent contamination...then I believe yes you could make it at home without the official starter.
I've interacted with a few people who I think could work out a formula if they had the inclination to. In my quest to obtain probiotics that I have no way of buying off the shelf without a trip out of the country and law-breaking at the border on the way back in, I've met some really clever people. Some a little strange - imagine purple waving forests in their refridgerators - but clever.

I'm speculating that Dr Ruggerio & Co. may have assembled an optimal symbiotic (mixed strain) culture. This should ensure a reliable outcome I think, and it's something people can do at home with relatively little fuss, using just the one starter.
....If I was wanting to make something practical, and commercially viable that's what I'd do anyway. :D
I haven't talked to anyone using the official stuff so I could be way off base on that. :rolleyes:

Dr Teruo Higa worked in a university lab in the 1980's to create a starter culture of an optimal group of microrganisms occuring in nature. He cracked it eventually and he gifted the "technology" to the world. This particular group of organisms is used to compost, and to clean up waterways. I think it's amazing stuff. My father wrote about it decades ago for a soil and health publication and I've been interested in it ever since. It's like a probiotic for the environment, and some people ingest it.

:)

anne_likes_red

Let's see what Dr. Enlander comes up with. He has a lab on it!

Sushi

I know - and I hope 848 is his lucky number rather than predictive of how many tests he expects to need to run ;)
It's great news he's investing in it. The more the merrier!!

:)