• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poor mans Enbrel/curcumin

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Enbrel (Etanercept), an anti-arthritis drug, has recently been shown to improve cognition in Alzheimer's Disease patients, via Tumour Necrosis Factor (TNF) blocking. Even if Etanercept was approved for treating AD, a yearly dose of Enbrel would cost an Alzheimer's patient US $30,000 per year.

Curcumin (turmeric), a root spice used in Indian cooking, also blocks TNF. In addition, curcumin crosses the blood-brain-barrier readily. Prevalence of AD in Indian seniors is less than half the prevalence of AD in North Americans. Combining those facts suggests that Indians may be protected from Alzheimer's Disease by the contents of their diet, possibly via at least one of the same pathways that the drug Enbrel protects against AD.

In some studies in AD model mice, Beta Amyloid levels in mice given curcumin were reduced by 40% compared to levels in mice not given curcumin. Above a certain dose level of curcumin, the amyloid reduction affect of curcumin was diminished, however.

North American researchers have studied curcumin for protective effects in cancer and sepsis, and more recently have begun looking at curcumin for AD prevention. The common pathway for those diseases that is blocked by curcumin is our old friend, the NFkappaB pathway, triggered by TNF, among other things.

With the knowledge that AD is worsened by multiple TNF effects on glial cells in the brain, the importance of locating effective TNF inhibitors grows more urgent.

http://alfin2100.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/poor-mans-tnf-blocker-curcumin.html

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

GhostGum

I am still very interested in an injectable or intravenous curcumin but can not find it, think it has great potential in treating inflammatory symptoms, started a thread about it here,

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...on-of-inflammatory-cytokine-production.19260/

I thought the problem with it though was once it leaves the gut absorption appears to be quite poor, would be interested in the evidence that it crosses the BBB readily? Someone did point out there some liposomal products available that might be more readily absorbed; takes it from being a poor man's supplements to an expendable income man's supplement though.

People who have specific pain or inflammation sites can actually use the curcumin topically as well apparently, could even maybe get some base cream products and make up your own cream, maybe even combined with some green tea powder.

Wayne

I am still very interested in an injectable or intravenous curcumin but can not find it...
Hi GhostGum,

Thought I'd make a quick mention that I purchased a bottle of Curamin (picture and link below) a few months ago, and have used it off and on to try to relieve headache pain. I would generally take it just before going to sleep, and the results were somewhat mixed.

The past few days have been particularly bad headache days for me, and so yesterday evening, took three capsules at one time, something I don't recall doing before. I was pretty amazed at how quickly my headache improved, and how much better I slept. I also did not wake up with my typical headache.

The writing on the bottle says it has 20x more antiinflammatory effects, and my experience tells me this may in fact be true. It might also explain the relatively high price of this supplement. I'm not sure how this product would stack up with your wanting to pursue injectable or intravenous curcumin, but I think it probably does stack up quite well with just regular curcumin products.

Wayne

Blending four powerful, effective and clinically proven ingredients into one award-winning product provides an unprecedented level of natural relief. *†

What's the secret? Combining the best of the best. Curamin contains a super-absorption curcumin called BCM-95 that can be up to 10 times stronger than plain curcumin products.

Known for its ability to balance the body's natural inflammatory response, BCM-95® has been proven in published clinical studies to provide consistent and long-lasting effects. The impact of BosPure® boswellia is enhanced by removal of pro-inflammatory compounds commonly found in this plant.

And DLPA (DL-phenylalanine) has been shown to help maximize the effects of endorphins and enkephalins, the body's own powerful pain relievers. Rounding out the formula is an enzyme, nattokinase, that not only boosts healthy circulation, it has a direct impact on muscle pain via its ability to balance fibrinogen levels in the body.*

Rand56

hi Wayne

I'd be curious to know if you keep taking it, if your sleep continues to be good. It has DLPA in it which is DL-Phenylalanine which is a stimulatory amino. Unfortunately the label doesn't tell you how much of DLPA is in it. Maybe it's a small amount but it is listed first on the ingredient list which usually means its the highest % content of all ingredients, and if that is the case, it would seem contradictory as far as being used for sleep. Glad you slept well on it though. Did you take those 3 capsules early in the day?

Sorry, I reread my post. I didn't mean to imply it was used for sleep. You just had a nice effect on your sleep for taking it. I would be surprised though if you took your 3 caps later in the day and you still slept good.

Rand

Timaca

I have not yet started to take curcumin, but I hope to start soon. These articles interested me:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22630820

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21299124

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120816122029.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22211691

This is the supplement I've bought: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-superior-herbs-curcumin-complex-875-mg-60-caps

I have read that it can affect your platelet count and/or effectiveness. Since my platelet count is on the low side of the reference range I will need to watch that.

Would love to hear anyone's experience with this supplement.

Best, Timaca

Wayne

hi Wayne

I'd be curious to know if you keep taking it, if your sleep continues to be good. It has DLPA in it which is DL-Phenylalanine which is a stimulatory amino. Unfortunately the label doesn't tell you how much of DLPA is in it. Maybe it's a small amount but it is listed first on the ingredient list which usually means its the highest % content of all ingredients, and if that is the case, it would seem contradictory as far as being used for sleep. Glad you slept well on it though. Did you take those 3 capsules early in the day?

Sorry, I reread my post. I didn't mean to imply it was used for sleep. You just had a nice effect on your sleep for taking it. I would be surprised though if you took your 3 caps later in the day and you still slept good.

Hi Rand,

I took my 3 capsules in the evening. I assumed the reduction of headache AND my somewhat increased energy was due to the curcumin. But I'm guessing now the extra energy was due to the DL-Phenylalanine. Interestingly, when my normal bedtime arrived, I felt both a bit tireder than normal, and still a bit "buzzed".

The following morning (when I wrote my post), I had only a mild headache, and a bit more energy. BUT, as the morning and day wore on, I began to become exhausted, and my cognitive function totally tanked. It was quite disconcerting, and am now not sure what to make of it all. It's made me concerned about taking that much again.

After experimenting with this for several months, I'm now down to my last two capsules. I think I'm going to try to duplicate my previous experience, and take these two in the evening, and see if I get the same results. If I do get the increased cognitive dysfunction the following day, it would probably be something I would stay away from going forward, even if it did relieve my headaches.

Best, Wayne