1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poop pill to heal gut

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Nielk, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This sounds very promising and as though the research is translating to a viable treatment much faster than expected.

Nice to have some good news today!

leela, Wayne, aimossy and 1 other person like this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    Things are beginning to line up ready for connections down the line!!!
    I saw an article on www.stuff.co.nz/science Human poo pills offer hope.

oooh did I just learn how to do a link on here!

Wayne, SickOfSickness and rosie26 like this.
  4. drewmaster

drewmaster

Yes, this is VERY exciting news. If anyone knows some way to obtain these "poop pills", please post.

Drew

5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Huge potential in the hear and now.

aimossy likes this.
  6. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    A story on our local news channel the other night about a young girl with UC confined to a wheelchair.
    she completely recovered with poop infusions. No wheelchair, no UC. 100% recovery. They didn't say how many infusions she did but it was obvious it was more than one.

aimossy likes this.
  7. Lala

Lala Senior Member

EU
  8. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    i think i have ask this before, but what is so different between this and probiotics ? Fresh ? Live ? - then yogurt or kefir or Kombucha ? The amount ? The different kinds/strains ? The technique ? - antibiotics before ? fasting/clear bowels before ? What processing is done first ?

The other thing is that is seems (probably) difficult enough to get it for c. Diff, I can only imagine it to be so much more difficult and longer time to wait for other conditions like ME... I do think it has some potential. Is our problem "all in our gut"? Many times it seems there is a connection at least.

9. drewmaster

drewmaster

10. drewmaster

drewmaster

That's a very good question, AbbyDear. I'm not an expert, but I think it's a question of (1) the sheer quantity of bacteria that are in the fecal transplants / poop pills vs in probiotics/kefir/yogurt (2) the number of different species/strains of bacteria that you would receive with one versus the other, and (3) the symbiotic, or even synergistic, relationships among the various bacteria in the gut's "rainforest" that are largely absent in probiotic compounds. The following video is HIGHLY recommended if you want to learn more.

http://www.autismcanada.org/scientificsymposium/2012/vids/004_Emma_Allen/

Drew

AbbyDear and aimossy like this.
  11. Bluebell

Bluebell Senior Member

12. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Anyone know how to get access to these fecal capsules?

13. Manuela B.

Manuela B.

14. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Thanks much Manuela B. for posting this. Looks like a great resource for those of us who are interested in whether this is something to pursue or not. Making it easier for both clinicians and patients sounds like a much needed service. --- Here's the welcome message at the link provided:

15. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Wayne
    only for those in the US!!
    I'd try it in a heartbeat if it was available locally to me.

Wayne likes this.
  16. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Well come on over. There's only this little pond between us! :D Actually, I wonder if it could be sent without a prescription. Perhaps there's some contacts here in the US that might be able to help you out. ;)

maryb likes this.
  17. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    There are clinical trials here in the US. I suspect there are or will be trials outside the US as well.

A family friend received the "poop pills" in a clinical trial at Massachusetts General Hospital. I just did a quick search and it appears there are trials in Europe as well.

They are using these for things beyond C. difficile infection. I saw one trial where they were using it for Crohn's.

aimossy likes this.
  18. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @JT1024
    I don't think anyone with ME would get on a trial......... and in the UK...well you'd probably get sectioned for asking:)
    I do have diverticulitus but probably not a serious enough condition, who knows though it may happen, I'll keep my ears peeled.

Wayne likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.