1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

pompholyx / Dyshidrotic Eczema : Anyone else got this?

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by snowathlete, Apr 12, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Dyshidrotic Eczema is only seen on palms, soles, and sides of fingers and toes. Tiny opaque bumps called vesicles, thickening, and cracks are accompanied by itching which gets worse at night. A common type of hand eczema, it worsens in warm weather. It is often referred to as pompholyx, vesicular palmoplantar dermatitis and even housewifes eczema.
    The word pompholyx is derived from the Greek word cheiropompholyx, which means "hand and bubble".

Ive had it since i was 18, and it fluxuates. Im fairly certain that it gets worse along with the ME. I wonder if there is some link. Its unberably itchy. I mainly get it on my feet, and the worse is bettween the toes as the skin often cracks and hurts as well as itches.

After about 10 visits to the docs, my GP eventually prescribed a strong enough creme to knock it back most of the way. But i lost it somewhere, and i feel gutted cause i just spend LOADS of energy trying to find it but to no avail.

I'll go back to the docs and try and get some more but they are really retisent to prescribe the strong stuff, which is because it can thin the skin, but if they only give me the weak stuff then i have to use it for months on end which ultimately is worse than the stronger stuff for two or three days a month.

Anyway, back on topic - anyone else get this?
  2. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001835/

Yes unfortunately. Sorry someone else does, especially between the toes. It must drive you nuts :(
    mine is on the palms & in between fingers. It developed a couple of years following M.E onset. I also get psoriasis on my ankles & from time to time, my scalp.

It has become infected a few times so when it is weepy I wear cotton gloves part of the time. I have tried numerous so-called topical 'cures' all react, even sorbolene or vasoline. Now I use Vit E but it only helps with moisturising.
    One useful tip is to avoid wool, it really aggravates it.

It is linked to stress & the immune system (I read 'over stimulated' immune system), and would you beleive, CBT is recommended :p. I had CBT, helpful, but not for PHYSICAL conditions.

Last time my GP took a scraping, don't have results yet. He was sure it was Candida related but that treatment worsened it significantly. He say's the cream I have been using is the strongest stuff, Betamethasone Valerate. But my skin is so thin I cannot continue using it.

One thing that was recommended to me to try was Coconut Oil, eating the stuff. I haven't tried that yet, sounds like another wonder cure to me (hope I'm wrong).
    If you can manage avoiding the high cortisone cream do so, it is better in the long run IMHO.
    All the best ;)
  3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    It is linked to stress & the immune system (I read 'over stimulated' immune system), and would you beleive, CBT is recommended :p. I had CBT, helpful, but not for PHYSICAL conditions.

Grief! i dont think even the NHS would try giving me CBT for it, and they prescribe it for EVERYTHING over here. Both my parents are therapists and use it for treating phycological trauma etc, but they say it is just nonesense using it for everything they try to use it for. They do it because its cheap.
    the immune system thing is interesting. As i dont get colds or anything like that (with the exception of when i started methylation treatment), my immune system does seem to be overactive - at least one part of it.

sounds like you have it worse than me, as mine is controlled by the stronger creams. I tend not to need any cream on my hands most of the time because its not as bad there. But on my feet its essential that i treat it in some way, you know what its like, its just the most unbearable itch, and bettween the toes the skin breaks and that hurts pretty bad.

Regarding the coconut oil, i dont know if that will work or not but its worth trying. I have read putting it topically on the skin helps too with certain conditions. I might try that as i have some. Its gross to eat IMO. Its like eating coconut flavoured lard. Dont drink it with hot water thats even worse. If your going to eat it do it on a spoon and try and get it down quick. Also, dont eat too much at once as it can make you feel pretty sick.

Best
    Joel
  4. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    Thanks Snow, I'm not crazy on the idea of eating the stuff but I would give topical application a go. I still don't see how it could be a cure-all, but a treatment for outbreak possibly yes.

I found anything that 'smothers' the little volcanoes really infuriates them so finding something that can moisturise & not do that a real pain.

Have you tried an elimination diet with any success? That's about the only thing I haven't tried, though I avoid lactose due to intolerance.
  5. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
  6. baccarat

baccarat Senior Member

I just have a normal type of eczema affecting mainly my hands. It's got much better and now almost gone since introducing lacto-fermented foods in my diet.
    Raw milk kefir, raw milk yoghurt (I make it) and sauerkraut are my key fermented foods which I take every day. Overall I feel much better, less inflammation although I doubt it's gonna cure me.
    I got the idea from Annesse Brockley's book "Autoimmune The cause and the cure" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoimmune-...HNJK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334572791&sr=8-3. Great book.
  7. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    one tip or two...

Hi Snow and Googsta,

I used to have terrible deshydrotic eczema (D.E) for more than 20 years. Same thing, between toes, sole of feet and bese of two fingers. Interestingly, it was always coming on right hand and left foot only. just before period, there was worsening too. And the good news now : I don't have it any more (and pray that it will continue!) since last summer. What did I do ?

First, creams didn't help (sometimes there was a temporarly relief but never for such a long period). Even, they may worsen the situation if you are allergic to some of the components (pommade is better than cream for some of us). And I tryed many of them. Deshydrotic Eczema worsens with mycoses (sorry if my english is not exact) as an allergic reaction too (my husband who is a dematologist asked me to do antimycotic pommade courses for 3-4 weeks, which brought amelioration but not cure).

Since last summer, I added two new treatments that brought complete disparition of the D.E : dead sea bath salts and bentonite clay foot baths. I know that it seems simplistic and not serious, but after several weeks of this regimen (two or three foot bath a week), all the "bubbles" disappeared and have not made their come back yet.
    No more itching, no more bleeding!!!

Hope that it can help you also,
    Best
    Hanna
  8. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Hanna, thanks so much for your post.
    This sounds really fantastic and im very keen to try it.
    Are there any particular brands/products i need, or just whatever i can find online?

Best
  9. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Hi Snow,

I don't think there are particular brands for dead sea salts (just plain sea salts). Concerning the bentonite, I followed Wayne's suggestion and bought NOW brand. I find it really good.
    Good luck,
    Hanna
  10. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    Thanks Hanna & Baccarat, sounds really promising! Let us know how you go Snow ;)
  11. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Hi to all "Pompholixers",

Bad news... those little bubbles returned on my left foot toe this week after a 8 months total remission. Too bad. But I have to say that I did some changes lately.
    As I began the B2-protocol in April, I have been reintroducing some cheese for two weeks now (2-3 times a week). That was a major shift from my nearly no diary-no gluten and 95% vegan diet. I don't know if this is the reason, or the different supplements (b2-protocole) or the fact that I wasn't so dedicated to my foot-bath routine (I resumed yesterday and intend to stick to it more seriously). :confused:
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2

FL, PA
    hi
    i do have this or something similar. its little red dot/blisters that appear only on sides of my fingers. they dont bother me too much. i dont recall having them before cfs. now they do appear when my cfs is worse and i dont have them when i am doing better. very interesting. when was on valtrex anti viral i didnt have any at all.

See more popular forum discussions.