• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Polyuria, Nocturia and Polydipsia--ME symptoms?

Allyson

Are polyuria, nocturia and polydipsia acknowledged symptoms of ME please?

Many PWME whom I ask have them. How about an easy online research project where PWME are asked to keep accurate fluid balance charts for 2 weeks or more? Thismay throw some light on it - it may be a cause of or result of POTS - we do not know. FOr me IM B 12 injections improve for a week or 2 - ie the polyuria stops - then returns after the injection wears off...or so it has seemed tme foe quite some time. IM B 12 is something that helps a lot of people with ME - maybe this is why..aparantly it is used to build connective tissue and also boosts blood volume.

THanks

tyson oberle

Are polyuria, nocturia and polydipsia acknowledged symptoms of ME please?

Many PWME whom I ask have them. How about an easy online research project where PWME are asked to keep accurate fluid balance charts for 2 weeks or more? Thismay throw some light on it - it may be a cause of or result of POTS - we do not know. FOr me IM B 12 injections improve for a week or 2 - ie the polyuria stops - then returns after the injection wears off...or so it has seemed tme foe quite some time. IM B 12 is something that helps a lot of people with ME - maybe this is why..aparantly it is used to build connective tissue and also boosts blood volume.

THanks
I seem to urinate far too much in the winter even though I usually don't drink any water or anything other liguid. Sometimes I feel dehydrated in the winter and I try to drink some water, but it seems as though it doesn't help any and that I just urinate it away. I don't know if I urinate too much in the summer because I do believe I drink lots of water during that time period and maybe it is proportional to what I urinate. I have also noticed that when I feel dehydrated in the summer it also often seems as though it doesn't help me either. When I feel dehydrated I really don't feel that I am thirsty. I wonder why I often times don't feel thirsty when I feel dehydrated? Do you think B12 injections might help? Does it have to be injections? I have taken B12 injections in the past, but I never noticed any improvements in symptoms. But I don't know if it helped with excessive urination or if I even had excessive urination back then when I was on the B12 injections. I wonder if vasopressin would help me? Do you think I should try it?

Allyson

I seem to urinate far too much in the winter even though I usually don't drink any water or anything other liguid. Sometimes I feel dehydrated in the winter and I try to drink some water, but it seems as though it doesn't help any and that I just urinate it away. I don't know if I urinate too much in the summer because I do believe I drink lots of water during that time period and maybe it is proportional to what I urinate. I have also noticed that when I feel dehydrated in the summer it also often seems as though it doesn't help me either. When I feel dehydrated I really don't feel that I am thirsty. I wonder why I often times don't feel thirsty when I feel dehydrated? Do you think B12 injections might help? Does it have to be injections? I have taken B12 injections in the past, but I never noticed any improvements in symptoms. But I don't know if it helped with excessive urination or if I even had excessive urination back then when I was on the B12 injections. I wonder if vasopressin would help me? Do you think I should try it?

it has to be B 12 injectios for me and they definitely help me Tyson - maybe keep a fluid balance chart before and after to see how much and how often you are pee....good luck

Ally

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I have two types of polyuria - dilute and concentrated. I've discussed it on other threads and in my blog. The dilute type responds to desmopressin, the other type doesn't and can have a wide range of causes.

I have a file on polyuria but can't upload the pdf so will try to post 3 pages at a time.

Attachments

• solute diuresis 1.png
    solute diuresis 1.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 21
  • solute diuresis 2.png
    solute diuresis 2.png
    639 KB · Views: 18

MeSci

Whoops - must have pressed 'post reply' too soon!

Next pages.

Attachments

• solute diuresis 3.png
    solute diuresis 3.png
    433.8 KB · Views: 14
  • solute diuresis 4.png
    solute diuresis 4.png
    741.2 KB · Views: 11
  • solute diuresis 5.png
    solute diuresis 5.png
    661.1 KB · Views: 8
  • solute diuresis 6.png
    solute diuresis 6.png
    430.4 KB · Views: 6

stridor

By July 2012, I was urinating over 20 times a day - with 4 and sometimes 5 times a night. I never did get an accurate count as I was too apathetic and fogged. After supper was the worst - I'd go 6+ times during a movie.
There was an immediate marked improvement with mB12 and the symptom was completely resolved within a week. I am up 0-1 a night now which is OK for a guy my age.

taniaaust1

B12 injections did not help this in me, obviously it just couldnt boost my blood volume enough (my POTS symptoms are very severe). Magnesium doesnt help me either with this.

Florinef has made a difference and I pee far less with it (about once a night, occassionally twice on the 2.5 pill dose Im on currently).

Another thing which helped me was homeopathy, I had a great homeopath who people used to fly in from overseas to see him, I never knew what was in the homoeopathic med he gave me but I went from needing to pee 6-7 times a night .. to peeing not even once a night after only ONE DOSE of it and that effect lasted years.

I personally think that I'd say these symptoms are part of ME as so many of us have coexisting POTS with it and the POTS of cause has been caused by the ME.

At one point I was having to drink so much that I was peeing twice an hour sometimes (my electrolites thou start to screw up at that point).

I collapsed with dehydration last summer after drinking over 4L of fluid that day and the other day when I ended up collapsed and having to be ambulanced to hospital, I noticed after a couple of hours there, my lips were cracking due to dryness (the nurse also noticed and noted it in their report). My body just really struggles to hold onto its fluids.

MeSci

I've just done a couple of blogposts on polyuria, specifically the osmotic/solute type that does not respond to desmopressin/DDAVP but includes mineral loss in urine. The second post cites evidence for how resveratrol and curcumin could help to prevent it.

They are here and here.

Leopardtail

By July 2012, I was urinating over 20 times a day - with 4 and sometimes 5 times a night. I never did get an accurate count as I was too apathetic and fogged. After supper was the worst - I'd go 6+ times during a movie.
There was an immediate marked improvement with mB12 and the symptom was completely resolved within a week. I am up 0-1 a night now which is OK for a guy my age.
Easiest way is to collect some empty milk cartons (for a man), wee into them, and if you need a times urinated count, put a line on with a marker.

stridor

Jeepers @Leopardtail, all I was trying to do was to keep count on a piece of paper beside the sink in the bathroom and couldn't even get that sorted out! :) I was peeing every 12 minutes in the evenings and I have my wife to thank for that measurement.