The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poly-MVA - Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Modulation / Acetyl CoA Production / Krebs Cycle Enhancement

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Jesse2233, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

@Learner1 has been mentioning the benefits she receives from Poly-MVA. It's something I'm eager to try, and I thought it deserved its own thread.

Has anyone else experienced benefit from it or have comments on its mechanism of action?

----------

Poly-MVA is a patented dietary supplement which contains palladium lipoic acid (PdLA). It is available in both IV and oral form.

Dr Paul Anderson of Bastyr University has observed QOL improvement in CFS patients after 6 weeks(1), and Dr Gary Blick has found that it decreases fatigue in HIV patients.(2)

----------

On its mechanism of action:

It selectively modulates pyruvate dehydrogenase in cancer cells (3)

It increases production of acetyl CoA (4)

And it boosts crucial Kreb cycle enzymes (5)

sb4, veganmua, Isaiah 58:11 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Found some interesting ME/CFS testimonials about Poly-MVA. I'm not sure who's behind the website so read them with some healthy skeptism

http://polymvasurvivors.org/chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html

3. JES

JES Senior Member

Maybe this could offer a boost to someone who has experienced benefits from taking ALA. I doubt it would do much for the core disease process though and I've never noticed myself much benefits from taking ALA. Also it seems very expensive, as per an old wiki source at least:

Jesse2233 likes this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Looks like pure garbage. A few low quality studies and an overpriced supplement with inflated claims.

5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

@adreno studies, price, and claims aside, what are your thoughts on the proposed mechanism of action?

6. adreno

adreno PR activist

Well it might do some of those things to some degree, but we don't really know. Because we only have a few poor in vitro studies and nothing on humans. And is it any better than ALA? ALA has thousands of studies behind it.

7. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Fair enough. Do you think there's a sound theoretical basis to the notion that adding a palladium group to ALA enchances its effectiveness as the Poly-MVA creators claim?

8. adreno

adreno PR activist

No. And to my knowledge there are no problems with ALA absorption to begin with.

See more popular forum discussions.