• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Who do you believe is the most effective CFS/ME doctor?

Poll: Who do you believe is the most effective CFS/ME doctor?

• Dr Klimas

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Dr Peterson

• Dr Enlander

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Dr Chia

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Dr De Meirleir

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Dr Bateman

• Dr Montoya

• Dr Kogelnik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr Kaufman

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Dr Hyde

• Dr Holtrof

• Dr Myhill

• Dr Teitelbaum

• Dr Podell

• Dr Lapp

• Dr Levine

• Dr Weir

• Dr Beiger

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Hajnalka

Somebody voted for Dr. Bieger. Is this the German Dr. Bieger from Munich? I'm surprised he made the list, but would be really interested in experiences. Thanks :)

fireflymd

Re: the poll.

Does anyone know if Dr Enlander is still practising? No votes on the poll but perhaps he's retired? I think I remember reading that a grateful patient had left him £100000 to set up a ME/cfs unit and he was training up other doctors. Would be wonderful if something similar were to happen to Dr Davis.

I ask because, although in UK, I will be in New York in the autumn. Is it worth trying to set up an appointment? I try to balance my life using what energy / money I have to do what I want to do/ what might benefit my several health conditions ( one perhaps just as difficult as ME, needing controversial treatment in Germany). Cannot bear to spend all my energy searching for treatments but since will be in NYC anyway, it might be worth trying Dr Enlander.

Would be grateful for Any experiences/knowledge.

I saw Dr. Enlander last year. He is a very nice man, but I spent quite a large sum of money on the visits to see him, the cost of Hepapressin injections, as well as purchasing his own supplemental powder to make GCMAF yogurt and had zero benefit.

He completely missed my diagnosis of POTS and the autonomic dysfunction that is associated with CFS/SEID.

Once it was clear the GCMAF yogurt powder was not working, his wife, who is his office manager, advised me there was nothing left for him to offer me.

I was quite surprised that he has only 2 treatments at his disposal--a probiotic powder he sells to make GCMAF in a yogurt, and the Hepapressin injections. If these do not work, he does not have any other treatment to offer.

jimmy86

Somebody voted for Dr. Bieger. Is this the German Dr. Bieger from Munich? I'm surprised he made the list, but would be really interested in experiences. Thanks :)

Yes, its Bieger from Germany. I did not vote, but I see him from time to time.

While he might not conduct frontier research, he is up to date. He is also taking enough time to talk to patients and is open to different approaches.

Also, seeing him and getting bloodwork done in his lab is not crazy expensive. Overall, I think you get a lot of bang for the buck!

Jesse2233

I was quite surprised that he has only 2 treatments at his disposal--a probiotic powder he sells to make GCMAF in a yogurt, and the Hepapressin injections. If these do not work, he does not have any other treatment to offer.

He used to offer Ampligen, and was working on a Rituxan trial. I wonder what happened to that

fireflymd

He used to offer Ampligen, and was working on a Rituxan trial. I wonder what happened to that

I was so surprised and very sad, but at least they were honest--she said if I hadn't improved on the treatments they could offer, there was no reason to return. That was better than showing up, paying for an office visit and then being told there was nothing left to offer.

I had no knowledge of Ampligen at the time, or the Rituxan trial. He said his most effective therapy for CFS, GCMAF injections, had been taken off the market by the FDA.

Last edited:

msf

Not sure the background to this but unless people have seen more than one doctor can they really claim or believe one is better than the other ? Even if they have seen 3 or 4 doctors the poll will still be skewed in the direction of the doctors who have been seen by the most people here. ( Is that what you want to know ?)

By all means have a poll but be wary of drawing any conclusions.

I think it will turn out to be a ´which of these doctors has helped you?´ poll, which admittedly isn´t quite the same thing.

alex3619

There is no BEST doctor for ME/CFS until medical science can figure out what exactly this illness is. All of these doctors are just guessing at treatments and making a lot of money doing so. No one seems to be cured yet or back to living a "normal" life.
Ask me the question for this thread in five to ten years. My dream is at that time I could then give you a very long list of doctors all over the world.

wastwater

I still don't think enough is known to say which doctor would be most effective and there maybe many conditions lumped in together.I've never felt the need to goto one of the doctors I would be weary,the most I spent was getting a vitamin D test