• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Who do you believe is the most effective CFS/ME doctor?

Poll: Who do you believe is the most effective CFS/ME doctor?

• Dr Klimas

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Dr Peterson

• Dr Enlander

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Dr Chia

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Dr De Meirleir

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Dr Bateman

• Dr Montoya

• Dr Kogelnik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr Kaufman

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Dr Hyde

• Dr Holtrof

• Dr Myhill

• Dr Teitelbaum

• Dr Podell

• Dr Lapp

• Dr Levine

• Dr Weir

• Dr Beiger

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Not sure the background to this but unless people have seen more than one doctor can they really claim or believe one is better than the other ? Even if they have seen 3 or 4 doctors the poll will still be skewed in the direction of the doctors who have been seen by the most people here. ( Is that what you want to know ?)

By all means have a poll but be wary of drawing any conclusions.

Jesse2233

Not sure the background to this but unless people have seen more than one doctor can they really claim or believe one is better than the other ? Even if they have seen 3 or 4 doctors the poll will still be skewed in the direction of the doctors who have been seen by the most people here. ( Is that what you want to know ?)

By all means have a poll but be wary of drawing any conclusions.

That's a fair point. I do think there are many members who have seen multiple doctors, and those who haven't may know people who have shared their experiences. But like any non-scientific survey, I agree it should be taken anecdotally rather than empirically

Mary

Moderator Resource
Let me know who I should add

*Accidentally listed Bieger and Weir twice and can't edit. Vote for the first

I've seen or consulted with 3 of them - Kaufman, Chia and Myhill, and none were able to help me. To be fair, I believe Myhill's nutrient regimen is very good, but I was already doing most of it before I had testing done by her and it has not solved the central problem of PEM. I do recommend her testing if you can get it done as it showed severe deficiencies in ATP metabolism, which was something. And Kaufman's testing was good as well, but still no help, same with Chia.

Biarritz13

I've seen or consulted with 3 of them - Kaufman, Chia and Myhill, and none were able to help me. To be fair, I believe Myhill's nutrient regimen is very good, but I was already doing most of it before I had testing done by her and it has not solved the central problem of PEM. I do recommend her testing if you can get it done as it showed severe deficiencies in ATP metabolism, which was something. And Kaufman's testing was good as well, but still no help, same with Chia.

Do you mean that Oxymatrine didn't help you?

IreneF

Dr. Montoya is not in private practice; he's an employee of Stanford and does not make a lot of money off of patients. There are other docs that do seem to be in it for the money. I think there are some threads about the uselessness and expense of Holtorf.

Binkie4

Re: the poll.

Does anyone know if Dr Enlander is still practising? No votes on the poll but perhaps he's retired? I think I remember reading that a grateful patient had left him £100000 to set up a ME/cfs unit and he was training up other doctors. Would be wonderful if something similar were to happen to Dr Davis.

I ask because, although in UK, I will be in New York in the autumn. Is it worth trying to set up an appointment? I try to balance my life using what energy / money I have to do what I want to do/ what might benefit my several health conditions ( one perhaps just as difficult as ME, needing controversial treatment in Germany). Cannot bear to spend all my energy searching for treatments but since will be in NYC anyway, it might be worth trying Dr Enlander.

Would be grateful for Any experiences/knowledge.

Jesse2233

Re: the poll.

Does anyone know if Dr Enlander is still practising? No votes on the poll but perhaps he's retired? I think I remember reading that a grateful patient had left him £100000 to set up a ME/cfs unit and he was training up other doctors. Would be wonderful if something similar were to happen to Dr Davis.

I ask because, although in UK, I will be in New York in the autumn. Is it worth trying to set up an appointment? I try to balance my life using what energy / money I have to do what I want to do/ what might benefit my several health conditions ( one perhaps just as difficult as ME, needing controversial treatment in Germany). Cannot bear to spend all my energy searching for treatments but since will be in NYC anyway, it might be worth trying Dr Enlander.

Would be grateful for Any experiences/knowledge.

Yes he's still practicing, had a call with him last week

Binkie4

@Jesse2233

Thank you. Do you recommend him? Has he helped you? If you are communicating via calls, perhaps you had to travel to see him? Does that work ok?

Oh dear too many questions. Hope you might be up to feeding back a bit. Feels like gold dust. Thank you.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I have read on PR about someone who hadn't had any response to Equilibrant until he took Resistant Starch for some months.

FWIW, I've been taking resistant starch for many months now and don't feel any different in general, though it may have helped my gut a little. No, I haven't been taking equilibrant at the same time, it might be worth an experiment but I just don't think it will do anything for me. I had ZERO reaction before. I have been taking andrographis for a few weeks and it IS doing something, I think is helping my immune system, though the jury is still out on this one :sluggish:

Jesse2233

@Jesse2233

Thank you. Do you recommend him? Has he helped you? If you are communicating via calls, perhaps you had to travel to see him? Does that work ok?

Oh dear too many questions. Hope you might be up to feeding back a bit. Feels like gold dust. Thank you.

No problem Binkie4

I only had one call with him and haven't tried any of his treatments yet. He offered me his standard protocol of Hepapressin and supplements and coordinated with my primary doctor. I may not end up doing Hepapressin because I can't find peer reviewed studies on its effectiveness. I've seen some reports of patients who helped by him and some who he didn't help.

Over the phone he asked a lot of questions, and was patient with my large list of questions as well. And his office was very easy to work with