• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: what's your pattern of muscle weakness?

What is your pattern of muscle weakness?

• Weak lower half of limbs, eg hands find it hard to hold something

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • No weakness at all

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Weak upper half of limbs eg difficulty climbing stairs or lifting up a hairdryer

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Only weakness after exertion, but it is all over

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • All over weakness most of the time

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • Weakness on one side of the body

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Symmetrical weakness (you can select several options on this poll)

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters

Starsister

When I was in my 20s and 30s I was very confident about my physical ability and strength, but when I became seriously ill, I started getting weaker and seeker..,upper body always less strength but that is typical for most women..as I learned in my self defense training. So legs are suppose to be our torte but I was the weakest in my class even in my lower body. Everything has gone down down down even with my joining a gym for years and working out 3 times a week. No matter what I did, or do, I just can't gain muscle but keep losing to where mt arms and legs look like sticks. Nearly 20 yrs ago my dr even tried adding testosterone to my bioidentical hormones....it jumped started my libido but no help with muscles and I started getting male pattern baldness so stopped that! I just think it is noteworthy that even when I use excersize machines and was using weights, my stamina and muscle just continues to decrease. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. It discouraging that it doesn't improve, but I keep trying to excersize because they say if you don't use it, you lose it. I can understand being weaker now since I've been in bed with various illnesses for two years, but puzzling that excersize doesn't rebuild for me, and I eat a diet relatively high in protein.

Dechi

@MeganM In order not to lose too much muscle, I've already lost lot's of it, replaced by fat, I do 2-3 series of 10-15 reps per day, a few times a week. It's about 45 seconds of exercise per day, maybe 5 minutes per week, but it seems to work for me.