The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poll:POTS/hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by wastwater, Jul 23, 2016.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Do you have:
    A POTS
    B Hypothyroidism
    C both POTS and hypothyroidism
    D neither

2. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I select B,I would like to see if there is a divide and if anyone has both,and what symptom pattern it correlates with
    I wonder if POTS people are more muscular symptoms and Hypothyroidism folk are more brain problems based.

3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Then select:
    1.muscle based
    2.brain based
    3.brain and muscle
    4.neither

4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I would be a B2

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
  6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    A3

wastwater likes this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I have both POTS and hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease) and my #1 symptom is shortness of breath combined with lung/diaphragm weakness and overall muscle weakness. I also have MCAS/mast cell disease. I do not have a lot of brain/cognitive symptoms. No idea if my answer is helpful or not!

ETA: I guess I would be a C1 and missed that part of the question yesterday!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    wastwater likes this.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    D - neither

wastwater likes this.
  9. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    C

wastwater likes this.
  10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Borderline C. 3

About 2 years ago T4 was towards low end of normal. TSH just below normal range. Treatment with levothyroxine brought TSH towards middle of normal range but worsened symptoms to a scary extent.

Clear orthostatic hypertension. Some readings suggested marginal POTS. My GP suggested I acquire the machine to monitor BP but then seemed to regard me as a hypochondriac for using it to obtain results which did not accord with requirements.

I have been reflecting on at what stage my PVFS started to acquire the thyroid symptoms. I suspect it was at 12 to 15 years.

In the first 11 years when I still got to see a consultant endocrinologist he often commented that my BP was a bit high but he dismissed it as "white coat syndrome". I now wonder whether it was the early stages of orthostatic hypertension and if it was dismissed because he had results of 24 hour monitoring in hospital, which were normal.

wastwater likes this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Probably C3

Diagnosed many years before developing ME with Hashimoto's. POTS is undiagnosed but I have many of the POTs symptoms.

wastwater likes this.
  12. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    D - neither - as far as I know.

Subtropical island and wastwater like this.
  13. digital dog

digital dog Senior Member

Hashimotos but not POTS.

wastwater likes this.
  14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I have both hypo (no thyroid) and pots. happened after I became hypo.

wastwater likes this.
  15. Kati

Kati Patient in training

What do you mean, muscle or brain based?

And agreed, you should use the forum poll tool

wastwater likes this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I took it to mean whether your symptoms are predominantly muscle pain/weakness or cognitive issues.

wastwater likes this.
  17. TiredBill

TiredBill Senior Member

Los Angeles
    B2.

A little over a year and a half ago my fatigue worsened (it's been 33 years dealing with CFS). So with the benefit of more user-friendly insurance, I started pressing to see if there were any co-factors that could be contributing to my fatigue.

Among the things that were sub-optimal were my thyroid levels. FT4 was in the "normal" rage, but at the bottom of "normal." TSH was also "normal" but in the top of the range (depending on what accepts as a "normal" range).

If I wasn't feeling knackered I'm not sure the very conservative Endocrinologist I saw would have treated me. But I "self-advocated." It has been almost a year of slowly raising the dose of levothyroxine. I think I may have finally hit the "optimal" dose of 137 mcgs in the past weeks.

Optimizing thyroid levels has been helpful to me (but it has not solved CFS).

My symptoms have been mostly fatigue, brain fog, unrefreshing sleep, PEM, and in the earlier "viral-like" early phase symptoms included night sweats, swollen glands, photophobia, and crash-inducing chemical sensitivities (tobacco smoke and acetone being especially bad culprits). I've never had unexplainable muscle or joint pain, GI issues, or POTS.

Bill

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    wastwater, MeSci and Invisible Woman like this.

See more popular forum discussions.