• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis... - Autoimmunity, inflammation and leaky gut links

Do you have any form of eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis?

• I don´t have either eczema or dandruff.

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I have facial dermatitis.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have scalp dermatitis (dandruff).

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I have eczema/dermatitis elsewhere.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I have facial and scalp dermatitis (dandruff).

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • I have psoriasis.

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Seems fairly common among this segment of the population (we the forum posters). If I was a scientist (wish I was) I could do tests on us and confirm the significance of this finding. I would do the mannitol/lactulose test, food intolerances etc...

knackers323

If people have genes that make their skin on the outside cracked, inflamed, permeable then it would be fair to assume they would also be more genetically exposed to having the same problem with the skin (lining) in their gut.

If this is the case. What's to be done? Lots of people with eczema etc. will tell us that it is not an easily treated condition. With many people unable to do much about it at all.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Knackers you need to treat the inside to treat the outside.
The outer expressions of disease are consequence of the diseased inside.

TPM-CGYoda.jpg

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
If people have genes that make their skin on the outside cracked, inflamed, permeable then it would be fair to assume they would also be more genetically exposed to having the same problem with the skin (lining) in their gut.

If this is the case. What's to be done? Lots of people with eczema etc. will tell us that it is not an easily treated condition. With many people unable to do much about it at all.

Diet change! See earlier posts.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Knackers lets not beat a dead horse. Diet is the foundation of health HOWEVER almost no one cures anything with diet alone (I have lurked obsessively forums for years including acne forums).

So you need a healthy diet to cure a leaky/inflammed/dysfunctional gut but NO you won´t cure it with diet alone, especially since you are ill enough to be in this board.

MeSci

Knackers lets not beat a dead horse. Diet is the foundation of health HOWEVER almost no one cures anything with diet alone (I have lurked obsessively forums for years including acne forums).

So you need a healthy diet to cure a leaky/inflammed/dysfunctional gut but NO you won´t cure it with diet alone, especially since you are ill enough to be in this board.

I think that some people might be able to cure themselves. Have you seen this new thread and listened to the programme?

I hope I will be forgiven for repeating part of my summary of the programme (if not, :p to you!):

It states that diet has a large effect on our gut microbiota.

It states that our gut microbiota have a large effect on our immune systems.

It therefore stands to reason that our diet has a significant effect on our immune system.

Add to that the fact that ME is increasingly believed to be an autoimmune disease...

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah autoimmune for sure for at least some people if not all IMO. Interesting info, but I still hold you need way more than diet to cure... I mean being realistic. If you had the BEST diet in the world supplements, injections etc would be most of them not needed. Imagine waking up and getting colostrum straight from your organic cows, drinking it, then going for you organic bees, getting raw chunks of propolis, pollen, royal honey, then going to your organic orchard and harvesting veggies for lunch... drinking fresh coconut water... organic meat and eggs... having a complete array of fermented foods including ginger beer... possibilities are endless. Even things like NAG or Gamma Oryzanol are derived from shrimp etc you could just eat that everyday way better than pills.

Not to mention having your own medicinal plants/roots!

But in reality most of us are 1) struggling financially 2) struggling physically/psychologically to just cook and buy food 3) struggling to find the right stuff to eat (the good stuff is hard to find especially if you don´t live in the correct place)

Organic veggies are super expensive here btw! 4x as expensive, we can´t afford that at the rate I consume veggies. My father wants to start an orchard but my mother insists that I carry the most work with it and I don´t think I can... even washing my juicer I don´t do it everyday...

So that´s why I think supplements are needed. Especially for specific nutritients liek when doing methylation. As a matter of fact as you can see I am a do it yourself and food advocate but while we are in this position we need supplements and IV supplements optimally. I just try to be adding slowly all the homemade healthy things I can. I have to start making sauerkraut again.

Last edited:

MeSci

Yeah autoimmune for sure for at least some people if not all IMO. Interesting info, but I still hold you need way more than diet to cure... I mean being realistic. If you had the BEST diet in the world supplements, injections etc would be most of them not needed. Imagine waking up and getting colostrum straight from your organic cows, drinking it, then going for you organic bees, getting raw chunks of propolis, pollen, royal honey, then going to your organic orchard and harvesting veggies for lunch... drinking fresh coconut water... organic meat and eggs... having a complete array of fermented foods including ginger beer... possibilities are endless. Even things like NAG or Gamma Oryzanol are derived from shrimp etc you could just eat that everyday way better than pills.

Not to mention having your own medicinal plants/roots!

But in reality most of us are 1) struggling financially 2) struggling physically/psychologically to just cook and buy food 3) struggling to find the right stuff to eat (the good stuff is hard to find especially if you don´t live in the correct place)

Organic veggies are super expensive here btw! 4x as expensive, we can´t afford that at the rate I consume veggies. My father wants to start an orchard but my mother insists that I carry the most work with it and I don´t think I can... even washing my juicer I don´t do it everyday...

So that´s why I think supplements are needed. Especially for specific nutritients liek when doing methylation. As a matter of fact as you can see I am a do it yourself and food advocate but while we are in this position we need supplements and IV supplements optimally. I just try to be adding slowly all the homemade healthy things I can. I have to start making sauerkraut again.

It sounds as though your mother doesn't understand your illness.

I understand about the energy needed to grow veg. I used to grow veg but it's too much physical exertion now on top of the work I have to do to sell plants during the summer. I'm just managing to grow some lettuce and parsley in my conservatory now and am going to try growing cucumbers indoors next year. I have lots of oregano growing in my yard, plus lemon balm and thyme. They need very little maintenance.

I don't buy organic veg at the moment, but get about 100 delicious apples from my one tree every year (so you wouldn't need many for a family, and apple trees require very little work). I also pick wild fruit and leaves, and grow a few blackcurrants, gooseberries, loganberries and wild strawberries and am trying to get some Chinese bramble established, as well as having four small hazel trees, but I let most of the nuts fall this year as I was too busy or tired to collect them.

I do take supplements too. I know all about the poverty, having not even been able to have my heating on until recently, and made myself very ill through the exertion of going out scavenging dead wood from the fields.

If only doctors would prescribe the supplements we need, it could make a big difference.

Waverunner

Diet is always worth a try and I'm 100% sure, that there are certain foods, which make skin conditions worse. Even people without eczema can get skin problems with the wrong foods. If the cause is genetic, you would probably have to fix the mutated genes. This hopefully will be possible sooner or later.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
We have like 75% people here with some form of atopy according to the poll. I think like 30 persons participated.

This has been amazing breaktrough for me: http://www.positivehealth.com/article/skincare/atopic-eczema-help-for-sufferers

"People with atopic disease have too many TH2 defenders and a lack of TH1 defenders, as do people who tend to get AIDS, CFIDS, Candidiasis, Multiple allergies, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), viral hepatitis, Gulf War Syndrome (GWS), cancer and lupus. People who are prone to get auto-immune diseases such as Type 1 diabetes mellitus (insulin-dependent), multiple sclerosis and, perhaps, rheumatoid arthritis have an immune system that is TH1 predominant. Usually, TH1 responses are activated by foreign substances that get into and inhabit cells, including all viruses, some bacteria (for example the mycobacteria that cause tuberculosis), certain yeasts and a number of parasitic single-celled organisms. In contrast, the cytokines or molecules, produced by TH2 cells, stimulate strong antibody responses that are most effective in combating bacteria, certain yeasts and parasites, including worms.

So this explains why I have athlete´s feet, dandruff, eczema and probably candidiasis looking at my tongue.

I will focus in rebalancing the immune response and already have a lot of options. For instance I will start on Withania somnifera powder http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X09010093

Remember that in the article it is clearly stated that leaky gut induces a TH2 response. I think this is huge and the truth of my case. Healing digestion/leaky gut is a necessary step to rebalance the immune system.

Mor

We have like 75% people here with some form of atopy according to the poll. I think like 30 persons participated.

This has been amazing breaktrough for me: http://www.positivehealth.com/article/skincare/atopic-eczema-help-for-sufferers

So this explains why I have athlete´s feet, dandruff, eczema and probably candidiasis looking at my tongue.

I will focus in rebalancing the immune response and already have a lot of options. For instance I will start on Withania somnifera powder http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X09010093

Remember that in the article it is clearly stated that leaky gut induces a TH2 response. I think this is huge and the truth of my case. Healing digestion/leaky gut is a necessary step to rebalance the immune system.

Did the Ashwagandha help?

knackers323

I feel better when not eating. How are we supposed to fix this leaky gut? I cant eat anything

Mor

No, sadly. Evem using gigantic doses. I fear like 85% of supplements AND therapies do not work or are outright scams.

I found this:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ga_Mice_by_Inhibition_of_Th2_Cell_Development

N-A-G helps leaky gut, but may also treat atopic dermatitis by the inhibition of Th2.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I feel better when not eating. How are we supposed to fix this leaky gut? I cant eat anything

I had good luck with a pristine diet of no milk, gluten (and much more "no´s"), plenty of veggies and non-sugary/acidic fruits etc, 30 grams of Chlorella plus 6 caps of YS propolis per day regarding intestinal inflammation and the associated eczema and urticaria, but the unrefreshing sleep persisted :/

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have to add that even while the diet (most important) and certain supplements/superfoods/whathaveyou do improve my leaky gut they dont cure it. Slipping one time is all it takes to start feeling gut pain upon awakening again and my nose eczema swiftly flares up.

Obviously, one is faced with a complex immunological scenario that outreaches just leaky gut syndrome, but treating it makes sense anyway. Its one of the few things that have helped me some. No specific idea of how to correct the immune system (or what there is to correct in the first place,lol), but is an ongoing process in which the more healthy factors you throw in the mix more chances of recovery. Essentially what is needed is tons of research and tons of money.

Last edited: