• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: How many steps do you take a day?

On average how many steps do you take a day?

• Less than 200

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • 200 - 500

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • 500 - 1,000

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • 1,000 - 2,000

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • 2,000 - 3,000

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • 3,000 - 5,000

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • 5,000 - 10,000

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • More than 10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • I am completely bedridden

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters

TigerLilea

I can walk from my bed to the bathroom or from my couch to the kitchen, etc, and each of these is about 20 steps so if I do this five times in a day, I have hit 100 steps yet NOTHING registers on pedometer whatsoever like I am not alive!

Thank you for that!
You're very welcome, Gingergrrl! The thing with pedometers I find is that they need a bit of bounce when you walk to register each step. When you are walking slow there is no bounce in your step.

I think once you start counting your steps you will be surprised by how many you actually take in a day. I was shocked to find that I average about 1 mile per day just inside my house. If you had asked me before I started wearing my pedometer I would have guessed about a quarter of a mile per week. I was pleasantly surprised when I first realized how much walking I actually do. :)

Before my current relapse i was almost up to 10,000 steps per day and able to run a few times a week. Now I'm struggling to manage around 5-6,000 steps per day (although my fitbit does count arm movements so it exaggerates the reality of my steps a little - so I'm probably a lot less than 5-6,000 steps!)

Last edited:

unicorn7

I just got a fitbit for my birthday:). So I have been kind of obsessed about it for the last week:rolleyes:.

On a "normal day" I am between 1000-2000 steps. I'm in and around the house and that doesn't make me worse.

This week I had some stuff to do, so
one day I did 6000 steps. My heart rate was also pretty high for half an hour. That got me ill, very sore and I didn't sleep for three days.
Another day I did 4500 steps, heart rate no higher than 115, very sore the whole night, but not very ill the next day:thumbsup:

So i'm trying to stay under 4000 steps and keeping my heart rate under 110.