Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poll: How many steps do you take a day?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Jesse2233, Sep 13, 2017.

?

On average how many steps do you take a day?

1. Less than 200

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. 200 - 500

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. 500 - 1,000

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 1,000 - 2,000

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. 2,000 - 3,000

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  6. 3,000 - 5,000

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  7. 5,000 - 10,000

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. More than 10,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  10. I am completely bedridden

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

On average per 24 hour period, preferably over the last month.

Would be interesting to see given how many studies do not include step count as a measure

Binkie4 and Kina like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Biscuit Antagonist

Uk
    3855 for me, most of them under 80 bpm. I'm mild/ moderate and it varies quite a bit ...I have quite a few 1000 step days within the mix

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    I only have a sample of 3 days, first day 800 ish, second day 3321 (but that wasn't a normal day, I had to go out), 3rd day 1154.

So on a normal day, around 1000 on average I would say.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I average approximately 5,000 steps per day. I actually wear a pedometer every day from the moment I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night. This is how I can keep track of how I am doing from month-to-month, and year-to-year.

I'm editing to add that some days I only can do maybe 2,500 steps. It all depends on how bad the PEM is that day.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Two years ago things got so bad I needed a walker 90% of the day just to move around my apartment without falling or tripping. I live in a huge complex -- the mailroom alone is approximately 400 'steps' away, round trip -- and I do that 2 or 3 times a week. I'm pretty much housebound (or apt. bound) but am hoping I can get some help soon via family/friends. If so I'm confident I can get back to 3,000-5,000 in a couple years, despite being sick for-ever.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Quite variable as @arewenearlythereyet posted I can be up to 4000 some days but regularly 1000 or below other days especially over the last 6 weeks I'm having a flare up and symptoms more moderate than mild at the moment. Not sure where to pitch it on your scale.

7. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    With my improvements, I've been averaging over 5,000 steps. On rest days, I average around 2,000 or less. I'm currently using a Ffitbit, but used to use an Oura ring, which seems to be less conservative with step counts.

8. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

For reference the average American walks 5,000 steps a day

Diwi9 and Binkie4 like this.
  9. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    I am pleased to say my monthly step average is now just above 3000. However for a 3 year period it was hovering around 500 steps a day - which was basically the minimum possible in our house without making new arrangements for getting to the bathroom. The improvement was brought about by taking an arv for a year and has been sustained since I stopped the drug. Such freedom those extra steps offer - although it is a far cry from where I would have been prior to ME.

Good poll

10. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Really??? That is quite shocking!!!
    I think in UK it is higher, but I'm not sure of figures.

I'm guessing my "well" average step-count was above 12000 - just by estimating distances I know about.

TigerLilea, Binkie4, Molly98 and 2 others like this.
  11. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    PS When my step count was around 500 my range was between 350 and 750. I had quite a restrictive ceiling. Now my average is higher my flexibility is also greater in that I can manage the odd single day with more steps - provided I walk slowly. No rushing.

12. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Final thought. It would be interesting to post the poll on a non- ME forum too. Just for comparison

13. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    I use a Fitbit and it registers an average around 1000 'steps' a day at present. However this is misleading when comparing with a healthy person because those steps are small slow shuffles from room to room, not normal healthy person steps.

And it also includes a considerable proportion that are not steps at all because it's a wrist monitor worn on my non dominant wrist. I'm currently trying to gauge how many things like lying in bed typing 2 handed on my computer are being counted, or when I sit on a stool washing a few dishes, again a 2 handed activity.

I have an old cheap pedometer. Maybe I'll try clipping it on my sock for a few days to see how it compares.

Binkie4 and Wonko like this.
  14. Jessie 107

Jessie 107

Brighton
    Before. My. E. My average daily steps were between 10,000 and 13,000. I absolutely loved walking.
    Now, if I am having a bad day it's about 500.
    A good day would be roughly 1500 to 2000.
    I use Googlefit App on my phone as my wrist monitor is not very accurate.

Binkie4 and Wonko like this.
  15. Lolo

Lolo Senior Member

AUS
    Yeah I found driving and changing gears upped my steps. So I figure if I am washing up or on the computer, (the mouse and fitbit watch are on the same side) it is going to screw the numbers so stopped wearing it. To much of a hassle taking it on and off.

16. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    Despite the confounding factor of wrist movements being included, I still find mine helpful because I assume the proportion of non steps to steps being recorded will be similar from day to day, so it still tells me whether I'm doing more or less overall activity from day to day.

It's also a heart rate monitor, which I'm finding enlightening.

Diwi9, Binkie4, Sandman00747 and 4 others like this.
  17. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    Bad day = 500 steps. If I didn't have to pee 20x a day, it would probably be a lot less.
    On a very good day recently I hit 1800!
    I would say average is probably around 1000.

I keep forgetting to wear my fitbit as it goes on my bra and I often don't wear one:whistle:. I must make the effort though as it's a great way of measuring/monitoring how things are going.

Binkie4, Joh, trishrhymes and 2 others like this.
  18. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

I managed to use a tracker for a week before the metal contacts gave me hives on my wrists, but I think I walked between 1000 and 2000.
    My heart rate goes over 105bpm just walking to the bathroom though, so I should probably try to walk less.

19. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    As a second reference, the American heart association and others recommend at least 10.000 steps daily to prevent diseases (what would be about 5 miles). That's also the default setting on fitbits. :rolleyes:

Dechi, TigerLilea and Binkie4 like this.
  20. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Biscuit Antagonist

Uk
    I like that on Fitbit you can have friends and league tables ranked by number of steps ....luckily for me my sister in law has CFS too so we compete to make sure we don't fall off into the inactive list.

Binkie4, trishrhymes and Molly98 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.