1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poll: How many root canals do you have?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by golden, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I do not have any root canals. I worked for a very competent endodontist, we have had to replace root canals that were installed by general dentist who did a poor job of cleaning out infections, sterilizing etc. My point is that if the root canal is properly installed they are very safe and won't keep or make you sick.

TigerLilea and golden like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    None here.

golden likes this.
  3. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    None.

golden likes this.
  4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    None

golden likes this.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    none

golden likes this.
  6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Wouldn't it have been easier just to add a poll to the thread?

maryb and golden like this.
  7. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    Easier for those who know how :) I dont :(

as it happens, the individual descriptions have added to the poll I feel... Many thanks all :)

Here is the count so far....:)

No Root Canals - 14
    One root canal - 3
    Three r/canals - 1
    Four r/canals - 1
    Six r/canals - 1
    Several r/c - 2

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    From the look of those results, it seems like there is a negative correlation between root canals and ME/CFS. You might therefore conclude that not having root canals is dangerous, and increases the risk of getting ME/CFS ;)

golden and maryb like this.
  9. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Zero. You might find the past thread about/from the guy who killed himself because of a jaw bone infection that ruined his health and his life... IIRC, he always suspected so, but it wasn't confirmed until his autopsy..

golden likes this.
  10. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    3 but one removed

golden likes this.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I had three teeth removed that had root canals in the mistaken belief that I would start to feel better and see some improvement with my CFS. That never happened. And I still get nerve pain even though the teeth are long gone.

Lukey and golden like this.
  12. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    That's interesting. The rationale against root canals is widely seen these days, and it seems compelling on its surface. Does anybody know of any actual data to back up claims that root canals are breeding grounds for infection and resulting disseminated inflammation?

I remember the study from India where public health officials nearly grabbed people off the street, gave them vigorous gum-line cleanings, then tracked them over years and discovered fewer CVD events. But then a followup study didn't find a benefit.

golden likes this.
  13. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @Sherlock, not sure if the data in this article are what you're looking for, but it does provide a bit of history on how root canals came to be considered toxic and dangerous. It seems root canals are a lot like vaccinations and others topics; those who believe one way are unlikely to be persuaded to believe differently. My own experience of swallowing difficulties clearing up completely almost immediately after an extraction of a root-canaled tooth (deemed in excellent shape by my dentist) has certainly colored my thinking.

golden likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

golden likes this.
  15. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @TigerLilea, how frustrating to still have nerve pain after a procedure that you thought would improve your health! Thought I'd post a paragraph from the article I linked to earlier on a recommended way to best extract a root-canaled tooth:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. amaru7

amaru7 Senior Member

EU
    I also have zero, btw you forgot the poll :)

golden likes this.
  17. sueami

sueami Senior Member

Front Range Colorado
    I'm checking back in on this thread to report that I had my one root-canaled tooth pulled in mid April. While I can eat on that side of my mouth again without temperature sensitivity, it did not reduce my symptoms that I could tell. I guess I'm glad it was pulled because eating hot foods was a challenge and there was clearly infection there, it was not the insta-fix I had hoped it might be.

Lukey and golden like this.
  18. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light

I love feedback - thanks very much :)

Definately sounds good to get rid of but i am sorry it wasnt an instant fix too ...that wouldve been great.

@thread,

I searched for the Mercola part 2 since i didnt see it posted in my inbox - but just couldnt find it - sorry.

sueami likes this.
  19. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    I have had 2 root canals
    Now I a careful to clean and floss and get check-ups regularly

Esp as I now know dental issues ad TMJ are common in EDS

ALLY

20. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    I have six, and they have been a long-term source of facial pain and recurrent infection. I would never have another, and consider them a failed technology for those with compromised immunity. I'm getting mine out, which , as I only have 16 teeth left in total, is not really going to add to my va va voom. But for me, it's got to be done.

Lukey likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.