Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poll: Has raising the head of your bed helped your OI/POTS/NHM?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Sasha, Mar 15, 2010.

?

How has raising your bed head affected your orthostatic intolerance?

1. <8": felt better

26.1%
  2. <8": no difference after a week

26.1%
  3. <8": felt worse

13.0%
  4. 8" to 12": felt better

4.3%
  5. 8" to 12": no difference after a week

13.0%
  6. 8" to 12": felt worse

4.3%
  7. >12": felt better

4.3%
  8. >12": no difference after a week

4.3%
  9. >12": felt worse

4.3%
  1. dmbaken

dmbaken

So how does raising the head work with two people in the bed- one with POTS and one not (and the one without sleeps on their stomach).

merylg likes this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Unless you've got a gigantic bed and one of you can have a big, bed-length foam wedge, I guess it can't, unless your non-POTS partner is willing to sleep on a slope.

3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Incidentally, I've found myself able to sit, or sit with my feet up, for longer without needing a rest although, weirdly, my total time spent resting hasn't changed (which I think must mean I'm sleeping longer, or at least staying in bed longer).

Not a major change, though I've only had the bed tilted for about a month.

5. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

I've been taking Bystolic 5 mg for POTS for at least 6 months (and as low as 1.25 mg when I first started it. That was more than 6 months ago I think). For the past month my bed has been raised (I need to go measure how much). I raised it to combat GERD. POTS was an afterthought. (It was worked well for GERD though).

The past week I noticed that my heart rate was too low, and I had to lower my Bystolic dose to 2.5 mg. Keep in mind that dose had been stable for half a year, and I didn't add any other drugs or supplements. I credit elevating the head of the bed for improving my POTS, therefore forcing me to lower my Bystolic dose.

This is a great thing because I think Bystolic (a beta-blocker) was a negative thing overall for my OI. While it improved my vitals on paper and made my GP happy, it made me fatigued. The screwed vitals were a compensatory mechanism I suppose. Of course the beta-blocker would also lower blood volume over time as well.

Interestingly, I feel best with a low HR of 60-80 (not surprising) a moderate diastolic BP (also not surprising), but a HIGH systolic BP of 130-150 (surprising I think, but probably not to many of you).

Unfortunately doctor's can't understand that some people might require different BP's to function optimally.

Two side effects from raising the bed. I have to pee more frequently in the night and when I'm resting in bed, and I dream more vividly.

Just measured and it is elevated 8".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Sushi likes this.
  6. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

I'm increasing to 12". I'll post how it goes. It's usually pretty rough the first few nights of an increase, and benefit isn't seen for a couple of weeks. I need to be careful not to take anything that lowers blood pressure or else I'll have to move to the couch for a night or two.

I have been at 12" before, and unlike 8", I never totally got used to it. It always felt odd. But since I have the privilege of being healthy enough to stand that level of elevation, I'm going to give it another go. More is not always better, but I am almost ALWAYS guilty of breaking this rule.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. shannah

shannah Senior Member

When my bed was raised, I had difficulty staying in it. Kept sliding down.

I'm curious. Doesn't this happen to anyone else?

See more popular forum discussions.