• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL for CFS/ME sufferers who have or have not been diagnosed with Asperger's

Have you been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome?

• Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes: but I do not agree with it..

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No: I recive mental health treatment regularly but Asperger's was never suspected or discussed

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • No:I do not recieve mental health treatment/therapy..

Votes: 40 75.5%

• Total voters

Tired of being sick

I have been receiving mental health treatment/therapy weekly for about 1year and a 1/2 now.
So my doctor/therapist is pretty much convinced that I have Asperger's on top of my many other illnesses.
As they are in my signature..

After researching Asperger's I tend to agree with her.

PS: She understands I have many physical illnesses as well.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...n6YStbFzNKeW1-E0HQxboGA&bvm=bv.87920726,d.eXY
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...n6YStbFzNKeW1-E0HQxboGA&bvm=bv.87920726,d.eXY
Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's syndrome, Asperger disorder (AD) or simply Asperger's, is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical (peculiar or odd) use of language are frequently reported.[1][2] The diagnosis of Asperger's was eliminated in the 2013 fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) and replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale.[3]

Misfit Toy

When I had surgery, my therapist called me the next day while I was in the hospital and wanted to see how I was. Being in the hospital was hellacious. I was across from a schizophrenic with pneumonia who screamed all day and night and they didn't feed me for 30 hours. I was losing it. I had one hand with an IV in it, the other totally in a cast and numb from a nerve-block and both legs in stocking compressions that were attached to the bed (run by electricity.) I was not allowed to move, or get out of bed for fear of me injuring myself with my cast. I felt tied to the bed, starved and I couldn't ring the nurse.

My therapist called a patient advocate at the hospital and social services to come pronto. My room was moved...away from the screamer, I had food waiting for me in my room and SHE did it. She made it happen.

I was too sick, too drugged up and had no family there and my therapist came to the rescue. She is the greatest.

@Tired of being sick --I am sorry you have aspergers. But...some of the greatest people have it and they can always be counted on telling it like it is! : )

Tammy

When I had surgery, my therapist called me the next day while I was in the hospital and wanted to see how I was. Being in the hospital was hellacious. I was across from a schizophrenic with pneumonia who screamed all day and night and they didn't feed me for 30 hours. I was losing it. I had one hand with an IV in it, the other totally in a cast and numb from a nerve-block and both legs in stocking compressions that were attached to the bed (run by electricity.) I was not allowed to move, or get out of bed for fear of me injuring myself with my cast. I felt tied to the bed, starved and I couldn't ring the nurse.

My therapist called a patient advocate at the hospital and social services to come pronto. My room was moved...away from the screamer, I had food waiting for me in my room and SHE did it. She made it happen.

I was too sick, too drugged up and had no family there and my therapist came to the rescue. She is the greatest.
Sorry.............you lost me @Misfit Toy................not making the connection of your reply to the thread?

Misfit Toy

@Tammy -tired of being sick just posted that he was diagnosed with aspergers. I responded. Previous posts were about therapists.(on another thread)..some bash them. I explained how I love mine.

Mistake on my part -wrong thread. I could remove it, but it's here.

Sorry, @Tired of being sick - was mixed up. Sorry for my response.

Do not have aspergers, but I know some interesting and bright people who do.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

I have officially diagnosed Aspergers. I didn't get the diagnoses thou till I was in my late 30s. I think most of us older group have gone undiagnosed esp females which its often harder to diagnoses. My daughter and father though have worst Aspergers then I, are both undiagnosed.

One thing some of us at this website have noticed is that there seems to be a very high percentage of ones who have ME/CFS having children who have Aspergers. This I do wish would be professionally studied as it would be interesting if this also proves so.. the whys of this.

user9876

I think there is an issue with the aspergers diagnostic system when applied to people with ME. For example, noise sensitivity is taken as an indication of aspergers but could be down to the ME. Also lack of social contact etc can be a result of ME rather than Aspergers.

I guess its about how far along a scale you are to be diagnosed and I felt that the Aspergers diagnositic systems could tend to over emphasise with certain traits which could be due to ME.

brenda

I have clicked yes diagnosed, but it is self diagnosis, as there is no other option, but I am utterly convinced of it and so are others who know me.

I suspected it last year and completed an online questionaire where i scored highly in favour of having it. So I went onto the aspergers' forums and then was peer confirmed.

Mine may be connected with mercury poisoning during my first year with teething powders but I do have a number of snp's that are common with autistics. We 'Pinkie' babies have a much higher rate of children and grandchildren ont he spectrum in a study.

It makes ME so much harder to cope with.

Tired of being sick

One thing some of us at this website have noticed is that there seems to be a very high percentage of ones who have ME/CFS having children who have Aspergers. This I do wish would be professionally studied as it would be interesting if this also proves so.. the whys of this.
Causes
Further information: Causes of autism
Hans Asperger described common symptoms among his patients' family members, especially fathers, and research supports this observation and suggests a genetic contribution to Asperger syndrome. Although no specific gene has yet been identified, multiple factors are believed to play a role in the expression of autism, given the phenotypic variability seen in children with AS.[1][46] Evidence for a genetic link is the tendency for AS to run in families and an observed higher incidence of family members who have behavioral symptoms similar to AS but in a more limited form (for example, slight difficulties with social interaction, language, or reading).[12] Most research suggests that all autism spectrum disorders have shared genetic mechanisms, but AS may have a stronger genetic component than autism.[1] There is probably a common group of genes where particular alleles render an individual vulnerable to developing AS; if this is the case, the particular combination of alleles would determine the severity and symptoms for each individual with AS.[12]

A few ASD cases have been linked to exposure to teratogens (agents that cause birth defects) during the first eight weeks from conception. Although this does not exclude the possibility that ASD can be initiated or affected later, it is strong evidence that it arises very early in development.[47] Many environmental factors have been hypothesized to act after birth, but none has been confirmed by scientific investigation.[48]
Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is an old thread. I am feeling more coherent lately.

My youngest son is 15 and has Aspergers. He is very high functioning and is in a high school for performing arts. He is a theater major and a straight a student. I totally understand his sensitivities now because i share many of these traits which are magnified greatly if I am doing badly with my cfs. I am gaining strength and also using some detox strategies on my son, which seem to be helping.

My older son is 17 and has excellent social skills. ( he is adopted from South Korea , ) is Asian so this makes the next part even more offensive. I never got along well with my in -laws much. My brother in law said something about my kids listening to " nigger" music. You can see why we spend the bare minimum of time with them. I thought he was joking and was trying to talk to him about it. My older son realized he was actually serious. My other in laws wanted me to drop it . My older son took me aside and explained to me what was going on. I was annoying them. I thought such a statement could not be serious. I started crying because I felt so bad.
My oldest son does not want to go over there anymore and I can't say I blame him.

I have been ill for 7 years. I do believe I have a lot of Aspergers traits which were much more pronounced when I am in a bad cfs downtown. I hate using the phone, in fact I " can't" when not feeling well. I took an Aspergers quiz and scored high / borderline Aspergers. My youngest son and me are very much in tune now. I totally get his need for " quiet" and calm no chaos.

My oldest has taught me how to pick up social cues. I always speak my mind , I do get carried away and talked biochemistry once for a half hour to a friend at a dinner party who has no idea what I was talking about.
We laughed about it later.

I have diagnosed Aspergers and AD/HD.(and I'm sure I have dysgraphia,especially chinese characters)
I have some sensitivity problems(sound,noises,touch,photophobia etc) that general symptoms of these disorders.
however,when my ME symptoms wasn't so severely,these problems wasn't too bad.
I think that intolerance due to ME is different from developmental disorder's but ME makes it worse.

I was investigated for autism spectrum disorders and other things when I was a child (several times). Putting it simply, I am as close as you can get to being on the spectrum without being on the spectrum. I haven't been tested in years because presumably, I haven't since gone on to develop an ASD, but I am open to the possibility of there being a genetic or epigenetic relationship between ASDs and ME/CFS. As far as I'm concerned though I do not have ASD and I am agnostic as to whether it's related to ME/CFS.