• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Do You Think It Would Be Unethical for the WPI to Take Tissue Samples Now

Do you think it would be unethical for the WPI to take tissue samples now?

• Total voters

ukxmrv

I think that they may already do so. Individuals with breast cancer etc have already been approaching them. What is happening with then I don't know.

floydguy

No, but I would like a review of researcher ethic standards. It seems kind of warped to me.

redo

How could it be unethical to take a sample (if someone wants a sample taken on themselves)?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
How could it be unethical to take a sample (if someone wants a sample taken on themselves)?

I agree. I think that this should be up to persons with CFS/ME to decide. As long as they are made aware that there is controversy surrounding whether or not XMRV is a human infection or a lab contaminant and that there is a possibility nothing will be found in their tissue sample, then it is not unethical. It would be informed consent. What would be unethical would be to take more time to come to a conclusion when there are people out there who have been suffering for so many years. If we could take tissue samples, we could end this back and forth now.

omerbasket

I wonder who was it that voted for it being unethical.
How is it unethical?
I would agree right now to give them tissue samples. In fact, I believe that taking tissue samples from some places, such as the colon (in the part that is closer to the rectum, at least), is almost as safe taking a blood sample from the patient, and probably at least as safe as taking a pill of 500mg of acetaminophen.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I can't see the ethics consideration if a patient gives informed consent or requests it. De Meirleir is finding XMRV by PCR in stomach tissue. He uses a routine procedure (endoscopy) that is done regularly for countless gut issues. They just take a few tiny tissue samples from different areas.

So, there is precedent for this and it allows a doctor/researcher to look for other pathogens like HHV6 as well.

Sushi

liquid sky

As long as there is informed consent. We need more research and there are many volunteering o participate.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
The question is a no-brainer.

I strongly suspect the 3 people who voted no are not interested in solving me/cfs and have some other agenda for being here.

Hi,

I voted no, but it was because I misread the question (damned brainfog!!!) What I read was : DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL FOR THE WPI TO TAKE TISSUE SAMPLEES NOW. So ofcourse I voted YES.

My mistake...:(

Regards,

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
if people are willing to donate tissue sample, i say go for it. could be a painful procedure but i think its worth it. I just wish they would put more of their findings out there. Sick of hearing all the bloody negative ones that arent real replication studies.

cheers!!!

ukxmrv

For people who are dying then this may be their only opportunity to find an answer. If they test neg with blood but have a tumour sample for example.

Francelle

.....and why just the WPI? Any research facility wanting to get to the truth of XMRV prevalence, fact or fiction, should be able to set up a study with all the appropriate ethics research protocols.

As to GI biopsies these get taken nearly everytime anyone has a gastroscopy or colonoscopy done. No pain whatsoever! Other types of tissue biopsies may be a little more complex however.

Daffodil

im not sure i understand the question..why would it be unethical to take tissue samples?

omerbasket

A scientist (can't remember which one) has stated this.
They can be good scientists with good intentions, but I think they have no right to tell us whether it's ethical to take biopsies from us or not. We know the situation, we are not stupid. Perhaps they should say, before taking the biopsy: "The XMRV connection to ME/CFS is controversial and there are many scientists who think there is no connection, and it's all due to contamination. Knowing this, would you still like to give us some tissue biopsies?". I would answer: "Definitively". Others might answer: "No". It's my right, and it's their right.

But it is not the right of a scientist to say that it's unethical - because it should be our choice wether we want to do that (in order to do something that we believe might contribute to finding answers for our disease - and even if these scientists don't believe that, they might be wrong and we might be right).

omerbasket

The question is a no-brainer.

I strongly suspect the 3 people who voted no are not interested in solving me/cfs and have some other agenda for being here.
I still wonder who are the three people that voted for it being unethical. I suspect that what happened with "ikke2001be", were he read the question in some way and wanted to vote for the answer that allows the WPI to take tissue samples but mistakingly voted for the other option - might also happen to others. But it might still be that someone really wanted to vote to the answer that says that it is unethical. While it is that someone's right, I would still like him to say that he voted for that option - I would just like to know better who are my friends for my cause and who resists what I believe (that the XMRV/HMRV issue should be investigated until we are as sure as possible about what true here - and we are very far from that right now).