Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

POLL: Do antivirals help only those whose onset was viral?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by sb4, Jul 24, 2017.

?

How did you respond to antivirals (Acyclovir, etc)

1. Suspected viral onset - Responded well

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Suspected viral onset - Responded poorly

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Suspected viral onset - No response

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Other onset - Responded well

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Other onset - Responded poorly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other onset - No response

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Definite viral onset - Responded well

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Definite viral onset - Responded poorly

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Definite viral onset - No response

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Seems pretty obvious but I am thinking those whose onset was through flu, tonsilitus, etc, should respond to treatment however those whose onset was something else (emf, chemicals, ???) would not respond.

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Add a definit viral onset as many have had severe onset illnesses and saw drs and had specific viruses show up or had tests shows non specific infections where certain immune cells were elevated that showed an infection was being fort.

Generally antivirals like acyclovir, valtrex, famvir and valcyte are used for herpes viruses such as cold sores, genital herpes, varicella which is chickenpox or shingles, ebv which is mono or glandular fever, cmv which is also known for similar mono and glandular fever as ebv, hhv6 and hhv7.

Some of these herpes antivirals do effect other viruses eg famvir has some effect on hepatitis.

So if your looking at those who respond to those types of avs its generally one or a combo of the herpes viruses. Dont forget some cfsers have had certain chronic bacterial infections improve their condition with long courses of antibiotics.

So an infectious onset could be viral, bacterial or fungal mostly???

echobravo and sb4 like this.
  3. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Yes you are right. I have updated it. I am aware of this polls limitations. People could have a bacterial onset, try antivirals and notice nothing so tick suspected viral onset - didn't help. They could also try the wrong drugs, or not stick with them long enough and so give a false negative.

I am just trying to get a broad view as mine started with tonsillitis. This could be bacterial or virus. So I'm hoping for success down this route and want to see how many have had success.

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I think you need more catagories for response. I do respond well to AV's but no where near a cure. Don't want to give the wrong impression.

Webdog and Valentijn like this.
  5. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    @ukxmrv I am trying to keep it simple. I'm also not looking for a cure, just any positive/negative response. In your case I would tick respond well :thumbsup:

ukxmrv likes this.
  6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @sb4 I am not sure how to vote, and don't want to mess up your poll results, but will share my story. I had more than one illness trigger but the second one in the sequence was severe Mono from EBV (...so "yes" to the viral question)! I tried Famvir for eight months at 1500 mg/day in 2014 and it did not help whatsoever but also did not have any negative side effects. I then tried Valcyte off & on, also in 2014 and early 2015, but could not tolerate it at any dose, even as low as 1/64th of a pill and had to stop.

In 2016, we discovered that my situation had flipped from viral to autoimmunity and I have had significant improvement from a year of high dose IVIG. I've just started Rituximab but it is much too early to know if I will be a responder. I suspect that my case did not start out autoimmune but that it flipped from viral to autoimmune. Whether this was due to the third trigger of severe/prolonged toxic mold exposure, or it would have occurred any way, I have no idea. I hope this helps (without messing up your poll)!

sb4 and TreePerson like this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @sb4 Question: not sure why you included LDN as I have never heard of it having antiviral properties. Do you mean Nexavir instead?

sb4 and Webdog like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I have not read that LDN has antiviral properties either, but thinking about it, conceivably LDN might fight viruses via its immunomodulatory effects. I found this comment from a hepatitis C patient who said his viral load went down from 1.6 million to 58,000 after 3 months on LDN.

I wonder if Dr Chia has measured the enteroviral titers of his patients on LDN? Chia certainly found viral loads went down in patients who responded to oxymatrine.

sb4 likes this.
  9. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I thought LDN has been shown to increase nk numbers or function in some people. Originally the theory of using it in cfsme but also why it was used in hiv before arvs were used??

sb4 likes this.
  10. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    @Sushi @Hip @heapsreal

I have assumed that LDNs effects where on the immune system via opiates as I thought that is also how vitamin D effects immune but I could well be wrong and I will remove it to save confusion.

EDIT: It appears I can't change the question.

11. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I removed LDN--hope this is what you wanted.

sb4 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.