• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL: Do antivirals help only those whose onset was viral?

How did you respond to antivirals (Acyclovir, etc)

• Suspected viral onset - Responded well

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Suspected viral onset - Responded poorly

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Suspected viral onset - No response

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other onset - Responded well

• Other onset - Responded poorly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other onset - No response

• Definite viral onset - Responded well

• Definite viral onset - Responded poorly

• Definite viral onset - No response

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

sb4

Seems pretty obvious but I am thinking those whose onset was through flu, tonsilitus, etc, should respond to treatment however those whose onset was something else (emf, chemicals, ???) would not respond.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Add a definit viral onset as many have had severe onset illnesses and saw drs and had specific viruses show up or had tests shows non specific infections where certain immune cells were elevated that showed an infection was being fort.

Generally antivirals like acyclovir, valtrex, famvir and valcyte are used for herpes viruses such as cold sores, genital herpes, varicella which is chickenpox or shingles, ebv which is mono or glandular fever, cmv which is also known for similar mono and glandular fever as ebv, hhv6 and hhv7.

Some of these herpes antivirals do effect other viruses eg famvir has some effect on hepatitis.

So if your looking at those who respond to those types of avs its generally one or a combo of the herpes viruses. Dont forget some cfsers have had certain chronic bacterial infections improve their condition with long courses of antibiotics.

So an infectious onset could be viral, bacterial or fungal mostly???

sb4

Yes you are right. I have updated it. I am aware of this polls limitations. People could have a bacterial onset, try antivirals and notice nothing so tick suspected viral onset - didn't help. They could also try the wrong drugs, or not stick with them long enough and so give a false negative.

I am just trying to get a broad view as mine started with tonsillitis. This could be bacterial or virus. So I'm hoping for success down this route and want to see how many have had success.

Gingergrrl

@sb4 I am not sure how to vote, and don't want to mess up your poll results, but will share my story. I had more than one illness trigger but the second one in the sequence was severe Mono from EBV (...so "yes" to the viral question)! I tried Famvir for eight months at 1500 mg/day in 2014 and it did not help whatsoever but also did not have any negative side effects. I then tried Valcyte off & on, also in 2014 and early 2015, but could not tolerate it at any dose, even as low as 1/64th of a pill and had to stop.

In 2016, we discovered that my situation had flipped from viral to autoimmunity and I have had significant improvement from a year of high dose IVIG. I've just started Rituximab but it is much too early to know if I will be a responder. I suspect that my case did not start out autoimmune but that it flipped from viral to autoimmune. Whether this was due to the third trigger of severe/prolonged toxic mold exposure, or it would have occurred any way, I have no idea. I hope this helps (without messing up your poll)!

Hip

not sure why you included LDN as I have never heard of it having antiviral properties. Do you mean Nexavir instead?

I have not read that LDN has antiviral properties either, but thinking about it, conceivably LDN might fight viruses via its immunomodulatory effects. I found this comment from a hepatitis C patient who said his viral load went down from 1.6 million to 58,000 after 3 months on LDN.

I wonder if Dr Chia has measured the enteroviral titers of his patients on LDN? Chia certainly found viral loads went down in patients who responded to oxymatrine.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I thought LDN has been shown to increase nk numbers or function in some people. Originally the theory of using it in cfsme but also why it was used in hiv before arvs were used??

sb4

@Sushi @Hip @heapsreal

I have assumed that LDNs effects where on the immune system via opiates as I thought that is also how vitamin D effects immune but I could well be wrong and I will remove it to save confusion.

EDIT: It appears I can't change the question.