1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Poll: Changes to smell and taste?

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by urbantravels, Apr 21, 2011.

?

Has ME/CFS altered your sense of smell and taste?

1. No significant change

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Sense of smell and taste more acute than before

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Sense of smell and taste less actute than before

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Other kinds of alterations (please post details)

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I'm asking on behalf of an interested scientific observer: Has your sense of smell and taste changed since you became ill with ME/CFS, and if so, how?

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    My sense of smell and taste has always been strong and it didn't change when I got ill

3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    It has changed over time - initially over acute stage taste and smell seemed heightened (and reflecting so much as disgusting) in the later and current stages both senses are much less acute than before ME. It's "clobbered" both senses and I have difficulty positioning sounds now.

4. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Smell - Pretty strong MCS.

At some point, I lost completely my sense of taste.

5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Taste wise it was a lot of things that use to taste good starting tasting bad and vice versa. Smell wise it seemed to more sensitive and I was also smelling things that were not there or was so low that others could not smell it. The phantom odors were usually indoors and would be a musky or mildew type odor which would be very strong to me, but no one else could smell it. When this occured the severity of it almost always coincided with the amount of stress that my body was experiencing.

6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Lost most of my sense of smell, in fact, it varies by how bad I am, so when I was at my worst, pre-testosterone injections, I had lost almost all my sense of smell!

7. SaveMe

SaveMe *****

the city
    my smell has improved from cfs!! i can pick up scents from a mile away :)

however ive noticed im more sensitives to smells, to the point of feeling nauseous. weird, eh?

8. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Hmmm... only a small number of responses, but I'm not seeing much of a trend here in any direction.

I selected "no significant change" because I had a very acute sense of smell before becoming ill, and that doesn't seem to have changed. It can contribute to sensory overload in some situations, but that also isn't completely different from how I was pre-ME/CFS.

9. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Bumping in the hope of getting a few more answers. Please answer even if it's "no change". Thanks!

10. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    My sense of smell and taste became very acute due to MCS. Since my MCS has improved greatly with methylation protocol, they've gone almost back to normal.

11. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Did the acute taste and smell apply mainly to things you were negatively reactive to, or to everything?

12. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    It all depends on the day for me. Sometimes I will wake up and on that day I will notice smells more (what my neighbor down the hall and upstairs is cooking, for example). On other days things with preservatives in them will taste horrible (like pop in cans and salad dressing). And then on other days I will be constantly telling my husband to turn down the television because it is too loud or the lights will be bright and I will have to wear sunglasses at night.

This is not a constant thing for me. The heightened senses come and go and it is usually one at a time. The sense of taste might be one that stays for the most part. I can always tell when some food thing has expired, even for just a few days. For example, my husband bought expired peanut butter from the store (by a week). I didn't look, but the minute I tasted it, I knew it was old. I told him and we got into a stupid argument about it until he checked the date.

13. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Way back when I first got sick (1994), my sense of smell became highly sensitive for just a few items. I was overwhelmed by the smell of bananas gassing off (to the point of having to avoid the produce section all together or sometimes even being forced to leave the store).

This last about six months. Since then, my sense of smell has been greatly reduced. Put me down as "other."

14. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    The MCS gives me a super sensitive nose to chemical smells. At one point I could even smell when my neighbour had hung clothes out on her line from inside my own house even thou my windows were shut.

On top of that, the CFS/ME in the past used to mess up my sense of taste and smell at times eg I'd be eatting something and be tasting a completely different kind of food (like my brain taste/smell messages were all mixed up) eg bread may taste like pineapples, I'd also suddenly smell things which werent present (like an epileptic may before a seizure). This happened to me occassionally when the CFS/ME was very bad.

See more popular forum discussions.