• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLG snps 23andMe

roxie60

It looks like people were upset with how 23andMe handled 'promotions', that they were told it would cost $49 and then when they went to ck out the price was changed to $299. The answer 23andMe gave to customers was they were trialing the promotion so some got the discount and others did not (randomly applied?) and that seems to have caused must dissatisfaction but none of the comments seem to be directed at results concerns although there apears a few had some 'lost in the mail results' and did not get satisfaction on that. All said I will probably be ordering my 23andMe in the next 24hrs.

Symptomatic

Thanks for the info. Since I sucked it up and paid full price, I have no dissatisfaction there (other than I wish they were offering a lower price, LOL). If I add up the $ I've spent on doctors and meds this year and last, the $299 pales in comparison, and I'm hoping it will be money well spent and sheds some light on the situation.

Symptomatic

Wow, in just under the wire...they are giving refunds for orders from 11/26 on, mine went in on 11/27. Whew!

snowathlete

Here's are mine added. Order: Lily Mendel, Greg Mendel, merylg, Steve_22, Snowathlete

rs3176238....TT...TT... CT...CC..CT.
rs2302084....GG ..GG...AG...AA...AG
rs2307449....GG ..GG...GT...TT...GT
rs2074885.... AG...AG...GG...GG...AG
rs758130......GG...GG...AG...AA...AG
rs2238296....GG...GG...AG...AA...AG
rs2247233....TT....TT...CT...CT...CT

by the way, for those who dont know about it alreadt. SNP Tips is a very handy browser add-on for firefox. And its free. Basically you tell it where on your computer your datafile is (first you need to download a copy from 23andme) and then when an rs number appears on any webpage (like this one) you can hover over the number and a tooltip appears telling you what you are for that rs. Saves you having to look manually. I've found it extremely useful.

roxie60

I'm using the add-on, thanks snowathlete

Here are my results added. Inserted merylg's gene comments to save hoping back to first page of thread.

Here's are mine added. Order: 1-Lily Mendel, 2-Greg Mendel, 3-merylg, 4-Steve_22, 5-Snowathlete, 6-Roxie60

rs3176238....TT...TT... CT...CC..CT....CT
rs2302084....GG ..GG...AG...AA...AG...AG
rs2307449....GG ..GG...GT...TT...GT...GT
rs2074885.... AG...AG...GG...GG...AG...AG
rs758130......GG...GG...AG...AA...AG...AG
rs2238296....GG...GG...AG...AA...AG...AG
rs2247233....TT....TT...CT...CT...CT...CT

rs3087374...CC...AC...CC....CC....5....CC

"Mutations in the POLG gene are associated with severalmitochondrial diseases, including Alpers' disease, ataxia-neuropathy disorders, and dominant and recessive forms ofprogressive external ophthalmoplegia. A list of lists all published mutations in the POLG coding region and their associated disease can be found at the Human DNA Polymerase Gamma Mutation Database."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLG

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs2307449

"[PMID 16080118] Mitochondrial DNA polymerase W748S mutation: a common cause of autosomal recessive ataxia with ancient European origin."

If you go into openSNP you can find the frequency of alleles & genotypes amongst openSNP users eg

http://opensnp.org/snps/rs2307449 where you can see I have the most common genotype for that snp, you the next most common & the Mendels (who we thought might be "normal"!!!) actually both have the rarest genotype!

This (first on POLG list) might be more interesting, as there is more difference in % genotype frequency:
Once again, looking at POLG gene results for 1-Lily Mendel, 2-Greg Mendel, 3-merylg, 4-steve22, 5-snowathlete, 6-roxie60

rs3087374...CC...AC...CC....CC....5....CC

http://opensnp.org/snps/rs3087374 we see that CC is common & AC is quite rare...AA would be extremely rare. Significance? "Generally a nonpathogenic polymorphism, but may have a modifier effect that increases severity when combined in cis with other pathogenic variants."

camas

I've added mine. I'll leave the analysis to you all because it's beyond my abilities.:)

Order: 1-Lily Mendel, 2-Greg Mendel, 3-merylg, 4-Steve_22, 5-Snowathlete, 6-Roxie60, 7-camas

rs3176238.....TT....TT.... CT...CC..CT....CT....CC
rs2302084....GG ..GG...AG..AA...AG...AG...AA
rs2307449....GG ..GG...GT...TT.....GT....GT...TT
rs2074885... AG...AG...GG..GG...AG...AG..AG
rs758130......GG...GG...AG..AA...AG...AG...AA
rs2238296....GG...GG...AG..AA...AG...AG...AA
rs2247233....TT.....TT....CT....CT....CT....CT...CC
rs3087374....CC...AC...CC...CC....5.....CC..CC

roxie60

snowathlete, looks like we match up exactly for these snp's. as usual, not sure how to apply the data....still think if someone identified the 'normal/common(-/-)' alleles we should include them as the first. Or make a note of the risk allele. I look at all this data and have no idea how to determine which are the mutations. Still learning. If anyone knows how to determine the risk allele please advise.