1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please sign this petition!

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Kati, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

You do not need to ba Canadian to sign this petition. Please show support for fellow canadian patients!

http://www.change.org/petitions/min...h-for-patients-with-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

Fund research for patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis

Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: the Honorable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Health of Canada.

----------------
    Fund research for patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis

The Honorable Leona Aglukkaq, health minister

- Myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome, is recognized as a disabling nervous system disease, according to the World Health Organization classification of diseases.

- The 2010 Community Health Survey calculated that over 411,000 Canadians have the disease, a staggering 23% more than in 2005.

- No medical specialty is embracing this disease, resulting in patients left to their own device, or with a general practitioner who does not have the knowledge or time to deal with patients with this complex disease. Patients are literally falling through the cracks, or going from doctor to doctor on the search for competent health care. Some have simply stopped searching and have become housebound or bedbound.

- Patients are stigmatized, largely because of the misleading and inadequate other name for the disease: chronic fatigue syndrome. This is comparable to the prejudice and ignorance patients faced in the early years of HIV/AIDS. A lot of physician think ME/CFS is a psychological or psychiatric disease, which is contrary to the large body of scientific evidence

- Canadian research funding for ME/CFS in the last 10 years equals to 6 cents per patient per year for this disease.

-Some experts in the field of ME/CFS say that this disease is just as disabling as patients with progressive multiple sclerosis, congestive heart failure or late stage AIDS.

- Recent research points to chronic immune activation, autonomic nervous system dysregulation, complex pain syndrome, viral reactivation, and possible pathogens involvement as biological abnormalities found in ME/CFS patients.

-Norwegian researchers have found that 67% of patients were significantly improved by the cancer drug Rituximab. Consequently the Norwegian government apologized to its people for neglect of ME patients.

Therefore, we patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (and supporters) feel we are discriminated against, left behind, and request immediate action be taken by the Canadian government:

- Research funding at the same level as other chronic disabling neurological diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, which afflicts half as many people as ME/CFS.
    - Provide financial incentives for scientists to research this disease.
    - Provide incentives for physicians to study and care for patients with ME/CFS.
    - Encourage clinical trials with Rituximab or other drugs that are considered hopeful from the IACFS/ME, the international organization of medical professionals specializing in ME/CFS.
    -Stop wasting precious money on the psychiatric research as it relates to ME/CFS.
    - Provide support for all provinces to open clinics to care for patients with ME/CFS and related complex diseases, including fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities and Lyme disease.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

And please pass it along! the goal is 5000 signature by May 12th!
    beaker, Sing and Ember like this.
  2. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Thank you, Kati. (signed it)
    Kati likes this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Done. :thumbsup:
    Kati likes this.
  4. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Me three! :thumbsup:
    Kati likes this.
  5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Thank you guys, keep them coming! so far in less than 18 hours, 225 signatures.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Signed! :angel:
    Kati likes this.
  7. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Done.

GG
    Kati likes this.
  8. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Thank you, Kati. You're an inspiration!:balloons:
    Kati likes this.
  9. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Congratulations to Kati -- over 1,000 signatures now! (1, 016)
    Kati likes this.
  10. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Also signed!
    Kati likes this.
  11. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Thank you! Today is my birthday, so passing the 1000 mark is extra special.
  12. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Happy birthday, Kati!! You did a great thing getting this started.
  13. Boule de feu

Ottawa, Canada
  14. Boule de feu

Ottawa, Canada
    I'm also passing the 1000 mark, today.
    It's my 1000th post!
    Yeah!
  15. Kati

Kati Patient in training

merci Boule de feu, le vido tait tr?s drle!
  16. Boule de feu

Ottawa, Canada
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    It's very 'contagious'. LOL
  17. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    What a nice birthday present.

Joyeux anniversaire!!
  18. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Its good to be able to sign petitions to help ME sufferers in other countries.Hopefully it wont be long before you get to your goal of 5000.
  19. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    Hi Kati; I've signed it and sent it to my facebook friends I sure hope we get the 5000 signatures needed!!! Thank you so much!!
  20. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Thank you so much Calgarynat! I so appreciate it! By the way I am Kati Ineedrituximab on Facebook, feel free to add me

See more popular forum discussions.